How often do you change your gear?

woodsman

I usually only change my gear when I have to. I try not to get suckered in by every new gadget that comes my way. That's not to say I'm 100% successful, but I try.

Hikenhunter

If What I have works I do not usually replace it. If the kids need something and I've seen something I'd like, then I'll give them my old stuff and get myself the new.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t ( If you are going to do it this way buy the new item and try it out before you give away your old item. That way if you don't like the new item you can keep your old stuff and give them the new one. And the'll thimk you are great for buying them something new.):tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

Considering I have heavy gear for fall hunting and horses, backpacking gear for high alpine as well as desert, campground gear with grandma, and a good assortment of extra stuff for grandkids, I really don't buy much new for myself. However, I constantly moniter the prices of stuff so If a really good deal comes along, I will grab it and then pawn it off onto one of the kids. I also watch out for good old stuff. Today, returning from California, grandma saw a thrift store off the interstate down in Southern Utah. I whipped around and found a near new, still in original box, coleman white gas stove for $15. Looked like it had been used once. Burners were still shiny.

Nope, no impulse buying for me.:tinysmile_twink_t2:........unless it's a good deal.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

cabinfever

I'm a frugal person (or, as some call me, cheap) so I don't replace anything that has some life in it still. I repair as needed, of course, and maintain all my equipment and gear properly.

Barney

Usually when I'm going really fast and want to slow down and vice versa is when I'm changing gears. :) I change gear only when I find something better. But adding stuff is something totally different.

ppine

Forester
Mostly I buy new stuff when it wears out. Sometimes there is a significant savings in weight or function but that doesn't happen often.

edit- When you have functional extra gear, keep it in circulation and give it someone that can use it.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
I'm often a spontaneous purchaser. If I come into some extra money (usually around income tax return time) I may suddenly decide I need a new tent, knife , GPS or whatever.

Many times I've entered a camping store for one small item and walked out with new piece of equipment that I had no intention of buying when I walked in the door. I'll pick up an item play with it, think about it then put it back. Then I go back play with it some more then put it back down. Then I come back and look at it again and say to myself, "screw it, I'm buying it" and I do. That's how how I bought my last backpack, lantern, stove, headlamp and hammock.

Other times the bug is in my head for a while. Like when we upgraded our backpacking tent. As my wife's back got worse and I found myself carrying more and more of our equipment I started seriously thinking about buying a lighter tent. I talked it over with the wife and we decided to spring for one. Right now I have a bug in my head about buying a bigger boat. Not a lot bigger but one in which I can walk from front to back without climbing over seats and people. I have to wait for my wife to get her bonus from work in April because it is usually a lot easier to convince her to make a purchase when she just gets her bonus.

But most of my purchases are the spontaneous type.

Grandpa

:tinysmile_grin_t:Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha I realy am getting slow as it took me up until now to get it:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Guess I'm slow too cause both grandma and I still drive stick shifts.:tinysmile_twink_t2: She loves lighting them up on her mustang.

Bojib

I don't make many new purchases. Finances keep me from that, especially since my wife nor I have received any type of raise in years because of a "stagnant economy", but that's a whole different topic and I better "switch gears" before I get upset.

I do however pick up some used equipment when I see it for sale on craigslist or at a flea market, especially if it's better than what I have now. I'm pretty good at working on things and can usually refurbish a lot of equipment that may have something wrong with it.

I don't have any kids yet to pass anything on to. So when I retire my gently used but working equipment I try to donate it to someone that may get some use out of it, or sale it at a very modest price.

Refrigerator

When my gear starts to wear out, I upgrade it.
What Newanderthal said is exactly what I do...
and I'll change my britches when I can't stand to smell myself. Shirts, I'll turn inside out and stink up the other side while the inside now outside will get some fresh air. This only works sometimes...

ejdixon

Like everyone else, I really try my best not to get lured whenever I see a really neat gadget either online or whenever I go out and just change them when I need to. But so far, haven't been that successful. And yes, I always would buy two of the same kind and take them both with me whenever I go out on my trips. That way, if one fails, at least I got another to use.

ppine

Forester
Outdoor marketing is very sophisticated. Don't give in to it. I don't believe in keeping things for backups. Equipment in the outdoors cannot fail because it needs to be relied upon.

EmberMike

I only buy new stuff out of necessity or if it's a significant improvement over what I have and makes my life better in some way. For example I've recently discovered that there are far better flashlights around than Maglites. I don't really need new flashlights but I've invested in some Gerber and Fenix lights that are just amazing for such a small package.

With only a few exceptions, camping gear really doesn't change all that much over time. I'm looking at getting a new Coleman dual fuel lantern soon, and it's amazing to look at the new ones and the old ones on ebay and there's not much of a difference.

Just for fun I was looking at new sleeping pads recently. It's amazing, my 20-year-old RidgeRest looks exactly like the new ones. Zero difference. Even the fancier stuff, the inflatable pads, etc., no difference between today's models and those from 15-20 years ago.

So unless something is seriously past it's usable days, damaged, or otherwise just not fit for use, I don't see the need to replace much.

Another example, I'm in the market for a new tent, to accommodate my son who will now be joining us on trips. And also to handle any other additions to the family in the coming years. If I didn't have that need for a bigger tent, I wouldn't be buying one. My 4-person Eureka is just fine otherwise.

Lastly, I think a lot of my mentality about gear replacement and longevity is based in taking good care of stuff. I think that came from the old Boy Scout days, where we had to be mindful of every piece of gear, knowing that there was never a lot of money around to replace things and we had to make stuff last.