How often do you replace your sail?

sailorman

My 17 foot sunfish has had the same sale for a long while. I have had to give it some minor repairs, but never replaced it. How often do you change your sails, or are you like me and have one for a good while?

hydethebeef

I have never had a sailboat, but old time sailors wold just patch them up and keep on going. They seem pretty sturdy, so you can probably make them last forever. That being said, my neighbor just replaced his because his wife thought there's was too faded and boring....

Lamebeaver

Sails don't last forever but modern polyester sails will last a long time. It really depends on how much you sail. You can patch the first couple tears, but eventually, it gets to the point where you need to replace it.

A new sail will also perform much better than a "blown out" sail. It has a better shape.

ppine

Forester
Dacron sails last a long time with proper care. When they start to get patches they are ready to blow out in a gale. It is important not to lose sails altogether because it is always an inopertune time. On larger boats, having several sails to chose from always for one to reduce sail to a smaller size, ie storm jib instead of Genoa.

Canvas sails last if they are never put away wet, like canvas tents. Ultraviolet light is hard on sails. If they are not stowed below, they should be carefully folded in place and a sail cover should be used.

hydethebeef

Yeah, with proper care they should last a long time. They are going to fade with time and need some repair. I think how you store your boat and sale affect the condition of them as well.