How to quiet a new hiker

FernGully

I want to take my granddaughter walking through the forest here. However, she seems to find every dry twig and crunchy leaf she can to walk on. I'm afraid she's going to get bored, with the noise she makes, she'll never see any wildlife. What can I suggest? Should she wear something with thinner soles?

peanut

How old is she? I know for every kid I've ever known they don't understand the importance of quiet in the woods. Even if they are told to whisper it ends up echoing off of everything! lol

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Depending on her age and your own ability, you can make a game out of it by teaching her how to walk stealthy using the toe-first method.

You can actually "feel" your way through the undergrowth by placing your toes first - not tippy toes, but stealthy toes lol. I don't know what to call it. The toes are very sensitive and can detect twigs and pebbles even through heavy boots. This is the method I use and it's very effective.

The foot touches lightly on the toes and then kind of rolls down easily until the heel is down. If you detect something, pull your leading foot back and re-place it. Do not shift it forward as this will alter your balance and cause you to come down hard on your leading toes. If there is a twig you will be unable to avoid it. Always shift your foot backwards if possible as your weight will be focused on your planted foot.

Think of the way a Ninja moves. Similar to that. This method also allows you to freeze almost instantly as your balance is established on your toes rather than rolly-polly heels. As you stride forward, your rear heel should come up leaving you on the toes of both feet at mid-stride.

A simple example, walk normally heel-to-toe and try to freeze mid-stride. You will notice that your weight will shift and your ankles will rotate outwards to stabilize yourself. Then, try the same freeze mid-stride using the method I described above. You should notice a significant difference. The toe method will have almost no extraneous movement.

When I taught my boys how to do this I started by having them sneak up on a cookie jar while I watched. If they did it right they would get a cookie as the reward. After they had mastered the basic technique I had them sneak up on the dog and the cat and eventually myself.

If she is just too young to grasp the concept, you can also try putting her on your shoulders so she can act as a 'scout' and then you can be the quiet tracker. She can observe and learn from you that way.

This might be too much for a very young child, but planting the seed now will benefit her later. Good luck with it, and have fun. :tinysmile_grin_t:

calanta

At first I thought you meant a chatter mouth and I was going to suggest duct tape, but that is out of the answer now.

Tell her to walk quiet like a ninja would, you never hear them sneaking up do you? :)

looey

I am always always amazed at loud walkers. I had a roomie years ago that was like this and if he had to walk int he forest quiet to save his life he would have been gone within the first five minutes.

Lookaround

She is still a child and that's her first trekking trips, right? I think you can just let her go and tell her about the importance of walking quietly. Tell her to do so otherwise she wouldn't deers or other wildlife waiting to show up before her. :)

failghe

At first I thought you meant a chatter mouth and I was going to suggest duct tape, but that is out of the answer now.

Tell her to walk quiet like a ninja would, you never hear them sneaking up do you? :)
Too funny! ROFLOL My thoughts exactly!

You can make a game of walking silently. How many animals can we see if we don't step on that dry branch? How many can we see if we whisper?

lovetohunt

I love it too - a ninja! I cannot think of anything better than that to add. It's hard to make someone quieter. I know I'm not the quietest either when I'm walking in the woods.

Grady

I think northernbushape has the right idea to plant the seed early. You may not have the success you're looking for right away, but teaching her young is likely to yield results at some point.