How to sew... this could save your life.

Newanderthal

A lot of old fashioned men think sewing is for women.
Most young bucks are too hung up on the idea that they can purchase their way out of any problem to consider learning.
The fact is that gear, no matter how awesome, can still tear. A ripped sleeping bag makes for a cold night, a torn jacket makes for a cold day, and a ripped rain shell makes for hypothermia. Learn this one simple stitch and avoid disaster and discomfort.

To equip yourself with a sewing kit, Cut a section of business card to be twice the length of a needle and about 1 inch wide. Place three needles in the center and fold card lengthwise into thirds. Then fold the ends down to keep the needles from sliding out. For the thread, a 1 inch long piece of popsicle stick works as a low-profile spool. Wind about 5 feet of thread around it. Now you have a sewing kit that's smaller than your thumb and thinner than a cigarette lighter.

A kit like this and this simple stitch can make all the difference if you get a tear in your jacket, rain shell, sleeping bag, backpack, etc.

Real men know how to sew.

carmen

That is a great guide! When I first started to read I thought you were going to head in the direction of one day out on a hike you might need to sew yourself up after a fall or injury. I know a few guys (and gals) who need this.

CozInCowtown

I know in the Navy we were taught to sew, just some basic stuff like sew buttons back on.
Good basic skill every man should know along with cooking and basic mechanics.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

For many years I've done my own sewing of ripped/torn/worn clothing.

In my GHB (Get Home Bag) I also carry some HD safety pins...including some horse blanket pins (good for closing gaps from minor-to-larger rips/non-working zippers in snowmobile suits, etc., for examples).

Now, when something needs mending, I may sew it, or use some HD iron-on patches.

cabinfever

While I believe that you are absolutely right, I can tell you that if my life ever depends on my sewing skills then I'll be dying. Sad to say, I just can't seem to make my fingers work right when I try this.

wvbreamfisherman

My Mom sewed all the time (also knitted and crocheted). She taught me to do embroidery when I was a kid. She also sewed a lot of our clothes when I was growing up.

I sew buttons on and repair ripped seams and tears all the time. I have a little sewing kit I got at a GC Murphy store ages ago when I went off to college. I'm getting to the age where a needle threader comes in handy :-(.

One thing I've noticed- its getting tough to find sewing stuff anyplace but a sewing store. Try finding some replacement buttons someday...

I'm also learning to use a sewing machine. I have some things I want to make.

Hikenhunter

Real men know how to sew.[/QUOTE]
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t You hit that nail on the head. Sewing is a skill that is easy to learn and absolutly neccesary if you spent any time in the backcountry.

TakeAHike

Newanderthal, thanks for sharing that great tutorial. I am a woman and sewing has never been my strong suit. I can sew on a button but that is about as far as my skills go. I have always wanted to get better at it though.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've been sewing since I was twelve although most of it had to do with sewing gear or making nets. And my needles aren't exactly dainty. But I can sew a pant seam back together or repair a shirt. But I can also sew a pair of boots back together.

I figure the only reason it was a woman's job is because they were taught when young and had more practice. I'll also admit that I learned by watching my Mom.

Michael

I sew all the time. My sewing is ugly and crooked, but it's functional.

I'm actually in the midst of hand sewing a new messenger bag. It's not pretty, but it's not going to fall apart any time soon either.

ChadTower

I'm not sure why so many people say they can't sew. It's not rocket science to connect two edges of material. Look at something already done and duplicate it.

I know guys who can eyeball a piece of complex furniture and tell you exactly how every joint was done but claim they couldn't mend a sock with a gun to their head. That's just a refusal to think.

GA_gal

Thanks for posting this, especially the pictures. My grandmother knows how to sew (although arthritis keeps her from doing it on a daily basis anymore) and she used to sew clothing for my mom/aunt/uncle back in the day. She tried to teach me when I was young but I was stubborn and wouldn't pay attention to her. I'll definitely be adding a sewing kit to my pack and practicing this stitch a few times, just in case.

Gondor

Lets not kid ourselves, lets say your backpack strap was torn in the field. How exactly would you carry 100lbs of gear for 10 miles out of deep backcountry? Is there any other way than a sewing kit to remedy this, don't think so...

Newanderthal

It's not rocket science to connect two edges of material. Look at something already done and duplicate it.

...but claim they couldn't mend a sock with a gun to their head. That's just a refusal to think.
EXACTLY! Loop it through and pull it tight. Repeat as needed. It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to close the hole to keep the rain/cold out.

Cappy

I do not know how to sew, but I been doing it all my life. Ya cant spend months at a time on a boat with out being able to patch a leak. mend a tear, and the best way is still needle and thread. Poke the needle in one side out the other side and repeat das all I ever knew. Dino I actually found that stitch informative. I guess what I'm sayin'is ya aint really got to know what ya donig when it comes to sewing just lash the two sides together. I think it aint so much about dont know as its about dont want to with most folks.

ppine

Forester
New,
A thoughtful post. I have sewn a suit of buckskins with sinew, a blanket coat, and many leather goods. It is rewarding and useful to know.

I have seen a cowboy punch a hole in a bloated cow and then sew up the hole with hair from his horse's tail. A friend of mine sewed up his dog's hindfoot with thread after stepping on some glass. My Dad used to say that if anyone ruptured their appendix in the bush, he could remove it and sew up the opening.

Grandpa

Don't report me to the AMA, but I've been guilty of a little invasive surgery myself. Also, just yesterday my Son-in-law showed me his finger where my daughter had to stitch up a poor knife sharpening job. She did fine stitches, had to look close to see the scar and it was only a couple months old.

In this day and age of duct tape and dermabond for repairs we tend to overlook the needle and thread but they are still an important asset in the backcountry.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Knowledge of hand stitching is valuable. I went down to the library pre-internet and photocopied a page about hand stitches and put it in my kit. Looks like you have the Blanket stitch in your images. It is a pretty good stitch to know and I did use it to finish my dogs booties but probably the most important stitch for my use is the back stitch. I made a dog harness out of webbing and back stitches almost 17 years ago that we have used every single day, over 6000 times and it is still going strong. The whip stitch is very good too. There are about half a dozen worth knowing.

Learn how to sew button on with a real hand stitch method, much better than machine stitched.

The key is using upholstery thread. That stuff is light and thin but very strong. If you are repairing packs or other gear, it will last as long as the pack will. It is nylon. That thin polyester stuff is for shirts and the like.