"How to" Videos/Alcohol Stoves

Milly

I tried to watch the videos, because this sounded really interesting. However, when I clicked play, it said invalid parameters. Does anyone know why this happened? I guess I will just have to go look the videos up on Youtube later.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
I tried to watch the videos, because this sounded really interesting. However, when I clicked play, it said invalid parameters. Does anyone know why this happened? I guess I will just have to go look the videos up on Youtube later.
Ill edit the post and add the actual links.

Grandpa

Click on the link above the video box and it will direct you to the utube video. Don't click on the video itself.

oldsarge

This is what I've been using for many years now. It's not the best but it works for me. These stove can be picked up really cheap from "Cheaper Than Dirt" or "The Sportsman's Guide". I grab three for about $3.00 a piece a few years back. I also replaced the aluminum bottle with a stainless steel one.

Swiss Volcano Stove Modification - YouTube

Remp

I have one too :) I really like it! The most important is to choose proper fiberglass, and a good amount of it! So it won't spill out into your backpack... I have a real miniature one, It's made out of two Coke cans, you just have to cut the top , and cut it down until like 3-4cm. Two of these pushed together, fiberglass in the inside, some alcohol and you are ready to go.

Eppo

I think alcohol stoves are great in the right circumstances. I like them when hiking in mid-summer in good weather when I am not doing much cooking. They are great for heating water for tea or firing up some ramen noodles. However, they are less useful when camping above tree line, exposed, in bad weather. The main attraction of this stove is lightweight so I primarily only use it for long distance summer backpacking where I am likely camping in forested areas. I would never use this kind of stove on an alpine route like the Ptarmigan Traverse or the Bailey Traverse to name a couple of examples from my home in Washington State.