Huge Knives That Can't Cut Wood

Newanderthal

I can understand using a knife to whittle wood but not to cut.
Depends on the knife. Most fixed blade knives are fairly thin. Serious cutting will damage the blade. My knife has a blade that is 1/4 inch thick. Seems heavy, but not really. The blade is only 6 inches long. It cuts extremely well and I doubt I will ever damage the thing.

CozInCowtown

It is not a locking blade, just the detent from the spring.
This is a pocket knife and not an axe or machete.
It will whittle wood, sharpen a tent stake or hotdog stick nicely but be a little short to chop down a sequoia tree very efficiently.
DC

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Price doesn't necessarily correlate to a good knife. The only thing a high price means is that someone thought they could sell the knife for that much money.

The knife you want is one made out of a good steel, that's got a design that fits your needs, that's by a company you trust. If that costs you 20 bucks, awesome. If it costs 100, awesome.
I have a cheap Rostfrei knife that I've had for 15 years. It has an all metal handle, folding four to five inch tanto style blade with a half serration. It's been a great knife and has never let me down. Its my go to everything knife for outdoors, and for 20 bucks if I lose it, it's no big loss.

Michael

How strong is the lock on this one? People shy away from using folding knives to process wood but they would be amazed what some folders can endure.
It's also worth noting that "process wood" doesn't mean that you have to hammer your knife through a log. You can split thinner branches for kindling by tapping your knife in with the palm of your hand; no lock required.

I have a cheap Rostfrei knife that I've had for 15 years. It has an all metal handle, folding four to five inch tanto style blade with a half serration. It's been a great knife and has never let me down. Its my go to everything knife for outdoors, and for 20 bucks if I lose it, it's no big loss.
The pocket knife I get the most use out of is my Ontario Model 1 folder. 30 USD of really durable knife. And the blade holds a fine edge.

Although I admit that the most common thing I cut with it is apples. And those are hardly likely to ruin your blade. :)