Hunting, Foraging, Cooking and Eating...!!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

There's a whole world of edible flora and fauna right outside your door...all local, organic and seasonal...!!

If you want to learn to track down, prep and cook everything from prickly pears to snowshoe hares, you will want to read Hunt, Gather, Cook.

It's available from Men's Workwear, Women's Work Wear, Work Clothing - Duluth Trading Company.

Thought you'd like to know about this book.

Grandpa

Went to Amazon to check on this book. No cheap used ones so it must be a pretty good read. Thanks PF1

hikingprincess

That sounds like a great book. I have always been interested in ways to bring in more natural and foraged foods. I actually just watched a TV show about exactly that and it was extremely interesting.

rayne

I'm so glad you brought this to our attention. So many of our young people today would starve without the grocery store. I'm a farm girl and we used to grow and find everything we ate. I am excited to take a look at this book. Thanks!

Blueskyy

Thanks for the great find! I am actually planning to take a class in the spring about all of our local edibles, and how to find them. I can't wait!

shaun

Thanks for sharing the book. I've foraged for wild garlic, blackberries, herbs like sorrel, stinging nettles and field mushrooms. I would definitely like to expand my foraging knowledge as it is quite limited. I'm going to buy this book.

RingTwist

Hmm, that book sounds very interesting! I don't know much about foraging but it would be interesting to learn. I've often looked around at yards or meadows and wondered what was edible.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'd like to see something regional. I'm in the southeast... I don't need to clutter my brain with plants I'm not going to see or use.

ppine

Forester
Most of us are familiar with hunting and fishing. Hunting is carefully regulated to certain times of the year. Fishing can provide food a lot of the time. Foraging is worth knowing about, but is limited by the time of year too. " Living off the land" is much harder than most people realize. All of these concepts are worth pursuing partly so we can appreciate how difficult it is, so we can relate to the past, and for emergencies.

Grandpa

Most edible plants have to be harvested at a key stage of their development. That includes domestic as well as wild plants. They just aren't available year round unless you raise them in a controlled (greenhouse) environment. Likewise, wild game has a short shelf life in hot weather. Smoking will prolong the storage a little but not long.

Living of the fat of the land will still have the land fat but not the living. Just see how long those ripe huckleberries last when the birds find them, and the birds have a much better sense of when they will be ripe.

familytents

Good point Grandpa. There is expert competition out there, the wildlife! My brother told us if worse ever comes to worse we can eat the dandelion we have growing in our yard, haha! I had no idea you could eat those things.

shaun

Good point Grandpa. There is expert competition out there, the wildlife! My brother told us if worse ever comes to worse we can eat the dandelion we have growing in our yard, haha! I had no idea you could eat those things.
You could brew your own dandelion tea, it actually tastes good with a little sweetener. I add honey and lemon to mine. It is also very good for detoxifying the liver and there are other health benefits.

familytents

You could brew your own dandelion tea, it actually tastes good with a little sweetener. I add honey and lemon to mine. It is also very good for detoxifying the liver and there are other health benefits.

Oh, interesting. I'll have to try this. I drink a lot of tea. Is there a certain technique to this, or just grab a bunch, and boil them in hot water and then sieve?

Pathfinder1

Oh, interesting. I'll have to try this. I drink a lot of tea. Is there a certain technique to this, or just grab a bunch, and boil them in hot water and then sieve?

Hi...

Wish I could give you the answer you were looking for. Perhaps on the 'net? It's something my folks would make sometimes when I was a kid. Have no idea as to the recipe. Sorry.