Hydration Systems

craig

Do you use hydration systems in your backpacks or are you more of a water bottle/bag type of carrier? Sometimes it's the same to me but I like bottles and bags more because with hydration bladder you never know how much water you have left inside.

Michael

I like hydration bladders for the convenience of carry and access. I get a little paranoid about how much water I've got left since -- as you say -- I can't see it while it's packed up.

But unless it's really hot and gross, I realistically don't go through more than a liter an hour while hiking. So with a 3 liter bladder, I know I'm good to go for at least 3 hours. So I hydrate before the hike starts, and if it's a longish hike I bring an emergency backup liter bottle that I won't touch unless the bladder runs dry (or unless I'm back at the car to go home).

If the weather's mild or cool and the hike is short, I just take a bottle. Then I don't have to worry about cleaning and drying the bladder. In cool weather I'll often only drink a liter every 2 or 3 hours, so a bottle is enough.

oldsarge

I have both, I like to carry extra water since I don't have a purification system to use in the field to replenish my supply. Of course I don't venture out as far as most of the folks here. The Camelbak works for me due to ease of use while walking. but when I'm stopped and want to brew up some coffee I have a few stainless steel bottles I can draw from. This all suits me fine for now but if I start getting to where I am doing overnighters and hiking farther, I'll invest the money to tailor my needs to lighten the load. lately there has been some great comments on water systems and load lightening suggestions, there's a wealth of knowledge and experience to feed from on this site. Thank all!

2Tired4

I carry sometimes both but I always carry a small water filter just in case I'm in need of extra water and there happens to be a river or a lake.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

My sojourns don't take me very far either, at least not at the present. So, I'm pretty much limited to UTE camping.

I always have a pint bottle on my belt, and may take one or more one liter plastic bottles of water on my pack.

I also carry a water filter, and bacteria-killing tablets.

Even though those Camelbacks seem quite convenient, I might use one only if someone gave it to me.

Survivo

Camelbacks are simply awesome. But I usually go with classic water bags from Nalgene or Platypus. They are easy to use, convenient and durable, which is all that matters.

outwest

We have yet to use a bladder, had gotten one for a xmas gift a few years ago but it was lost in the last move. We mainly stick with bottles but sometimes it can be too bulky to deal with on a long walk in the woods.

Lamebeaver

I find water bottles much more convenient then removing a hydration bladder from a full pack to fill it up. I often carry a homemade gatoraid type mix, and it's much easier to swish around a bottle to rinse it out.

Lorax

Water bottles for me. This way I can gauge how much I have on me without going into the pack to check the bladder.

Grandpa

Bottles for me as well. I have a carrier on my belt for a liter. When I drop my pack, my water stays with me.

oldsarge

You're right Lamebeaver, that is a pain having to pull it out each time. Especially if you go through it quick. Also, depending on what style you have and how you have your gear packed, it can be a real PITA! Lorax as far as having to check the bladder, I just wait until I stop getting water, then if need be I go to my bottles. But the more I look at it, the more I think, "what's the hurry, why can't I stop and have a drink", I think the old military days and marathon geocaching of always having to be on the move and no time to stop are what's steering my judgement here. I think the Camelbak is more suited for biking, more convenient than reaching below for a bottle. I think I might end up re-configuring my set up here. Thanks!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
i have a 3L camelback that goes in the side pocket of my deuter pack. It can be removed without digging in the packs main section. i do like the smaller water bottle idea. If I got a 1L bottle I could fill it from the camelbak, and after filling twice, I would know how much is left, and when to start looking. Filling and treating 1L at a time seems simpler, as well.

hiking_and_biking

Do you use hydration systems in your backpacks or are you more of a water bottle/bag type of carrier? Sometimes it's the same to me but I like bottles and bags more because with hydration bladder you never know how much water you have left inside.
I use a hydration system built into a backpack and carry extra bottles in a runner's water-belt. The backpack will hold 100 oz (1 gal = 128 oz) and I get another 24 oz in the 4 bottles on the belt, so I'm carrying roughly a gallon on me at the start of the hike. (And yes, it's heavy, lol.)

Woods

It all depends on your setup so there isn't a configuration that will make all people equally happy. I take both bladder and bottle with me. That way when I leave the pack I can just take the bottle very easily.

IndianaHiker

I recently got a new Deuter bladder and really like it. It had a quick disconnect for the house so that you can remove the bladder without having to removed the drinking hose. Also like the fact that the entire width of the top of the bladder opens.

ppine

Forester
The method is not that important as long as you stay hydrated. I have never used bladders, but have worked with plenty of young people that do. They seem like an advantage under tough conditions like firefighting. It always seems geeky to me though working with people sucking on a tube when we are discussing things in the field.

I used to work with cowboys in Arizona that carried no water with them. They didn't like things flopping around on their saddles. They might carry a can of stewed tomatoes or a pop in their saddle bags. They were very casual about drinking out of cattle tracks, off rocks, or anyplace else for water. The water glasses at supper were the largest I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I use a hydration system built into a backpack and carry extra bottles in a runner's water-belt. The backpack will hold 100 oz (1 gal = 128 oz) and I get another 24 oz in the 4 bottles on the belt, so I'm carrying roughly a gallon on me at the start of the hike. (And yes, it's heavy, lol.)
I wish i had known the deuter bag has Two bladder pockets. I would have gotten two 2L bags instead of 1 3L bag. that would be 1 gallon equivalent, and its like wing tanks on a plane. 3L on one side is heavier on that side. at least with two, you can alternate drinks.

Malarkey

Listen to us, we are so advanced in talking about hydration bladders while I definitely know people who don't plan carrying more than 2 quartz of water on a weekend trip and don't even think about how much will they need. And they are surprised once they run out of it in the woods.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I carry 2 1L Nalgenes. Almost never full though. We have so much water here I can refill at least once ever few mins in most cases. Dip the bottle, 90 seconds with the steripen and it is ready to drink. 5 minutes to fill and treat 2L of water,