If you encounter a bear?

campgirl

What should you do if you encounter a bear when you are outside? My first instinct would be to run like crazy, screaming the entire way!

Seriously what are you supposed to do?

Bradsalex

Well first off just stop and stand very still, if the bear is not facing you it might be best to take a knee. Back away as slowly and quietly as possible, not turning your back to the animal. If you go to the National Trails Training website they have a brief run-over of what to do in this situation.

Now, if you find yourself between mama and a cub, then it might be wise to run away screaming... no, it covers it in the article.

Grady

I was taught by some park rangers a while back that you should lie down in the fetal position with your hands over your face and stay very still. The bear will likely sniff you and investigate, but if you are in a submissive, non threatening position they won't hurt you. The trick is to be able to do that without having a heart attack.

Newanderthal

it depends on the type of bear, how close you are when you spot the bear, whether or not the bear has seen you, etc. Different bears will have different responses to people.

peanut

I have heard you need to be fully in defense mode as you never know how a bear will react. I've never come across one and thank goodness because I would wet myself. lol

outdoors Joe

Knowing what to do and doing it if you really were facing a bear might be two different things. I wonder how many people would just turn tail and run.

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
I have been nearly everywhere hiking, including Alaska, and have actually met many bears. Almost always, they run away as quickly as they can, like any wild animal. but bears are the close relatives of dogs, and we know only too well that dogs are never alike. Some will harass you to no end, and some bears have that reputation too. So if I ever meet one of those types, I'll use all of my humanly wiles to outsmart it - use fire, get in a vehicle, make loud noises, hit it with pepper spray, etc. But outclimbing and outrunning it will not work.

SmackontheWeb

If the bear knows I am there and is coming towards me - bear mace. It also works on smaller varmits as well (coyote, bobcat, cougar...)

outdoors Joe

I didn't know there was such a thing as bear mace. Before I go camping in an area that has bears again, I'll most definitely get some. What exactly does it do to them?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Bear spray can be effective, but only at very close range, and you need to be aware of wind direction or you run the risk of getting it in your own face. You don't want that! Use it in short bursts rather than trying to unload on them. You gotta have nerves of steel to use this stuff effectively against a charging bear and I would consider it as a last resort.

Bear bangers are another good deterrent - more effective than bear spray IMO as they can work at much longer ranges.

Firearms can be effective too, but again it is mostly the noise. Shoot a bear and he will take a minute to die - assuming your shot was fatal. In that minute that bugger can wreak some mayhem, believe me. If you have to shoot a charging bear, try to take a knee or front leg. This will do more to stop or slow it down than a heart/lung shot. Good luck with a head shot unless you are a really good shooter. Even then they say the bullets can actually deflect off the skull. Putting a shot to his nose or face is you best bet for a head shot on a charging bear, but for me, I'm taking his legs out.

I have avoided responding in this thread because my answer could be huge. I have a lot of experience with bears, and there really is no stock answer that holds true in all cases. The biggest thing I can recommend is to remain calm, back away slowly, and do not tun your back on them for any reason. Do not run unless you know for certain you are to be converted to bear poop.

If it is a sow and cub, you are in grave danger and you really do need to get away quickly, but do not just blindly run. Back away quickly but calmly so she knows as soon as possible that you are not a threat. Make yourself big, but do nothing else to attempt to intimidate.

My most recent encounter was just this past Saturday. I was trying to shoot some video in a fairly remote location - on trail, but about a mile past the park boundary, and suddenly there he was, just watching me from about 60-70 yards. He was not displaying any aggressiveness so I was not too alarmed, but on the side of caution I picked up my gear and turned back towards civilization. He followed me for a good 10 minutes but kept his distance to about 70 yards or so.

That was the first time a bear has done that, so I was a bit unnerved by the time he had enough and disappeared. I think he was genuinely curious, most likely bored, and just wanted a better look at me. It was also very hot out, and neither of us had the energy to confront the other.

With the exception of sows with cubs, the vast majority of encounters I have had have been nothing more than a big hairy bum running away through the woods. The sows confront every time until the cub is safely away and then they leave too. I have had them even stand-off my Jeep to the point that I had to back up to avoid her climbing in with us.

Some facts about bears ...

They can in fact run downhill - it is complete nonsense that running down a hill will save you from a bear attack. They are almost as fast going up and down a hill as they are on flat ground.

Grizzlies can climb trees too, but the larger ones are generally too heavy to be very good at it. A young grizzly however, is a pretty good climber.

They are very strong swimmers and can swim for hours.

They are as fast as a race horse and will outlast most humans in endurance

A medium sized black bear can tear the doors right off your vehicle

Just because a bear appears to be ignoring you does not mean that they are. If they know you are there, best to leave or give them a very wide berth.

I could write a book on this topic, but I just don;t have the time. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

peanut

Good to know there is bear spray. Thanks for the heads up. I also wouldn't have thought about fire either, but that's a great idea. I would imagine that it would probably scare a bear away.