If You Had The Opportunity...?

Gopher

If you had the opportunity to live in a wilderness cabin and didn't have to work, would you? This would mean no running water-well, water you have to run to the creek and get-LOL, and no electricity. Would you like that type of lifestyle. I dream of it but I don't know if I could stay there all of the time. It would be a nice break though for 6 months of the year.

3ofusnow

I don't know if I could do it year round but I would certainly be willing to give it a try. Actually I think everyone should try it. It's a great way to show you exactly what you CAN do without if you have to.

jason

fear no beer
I've often dreamed of doing that. Could I? Not sure, would love to try. Will I ever do it? I doubt it. Real life does set in and I doubt the wife would want to do it. I would love to be on something like the Alaska Experience though. Just to say I did something like that.

aisha

while I love the outdoors and natural surroundings, a week or "roughing it" is as much as I can take .. :) .. I remember going camping to a friend's place about an hour's drive from Winnipeg .. it was an amazing gorgeous place .. the internet, though, was a half an hour walk .. the first couple of days it was nice to disconnect from work, colleagues, friends .. but, then, it was like "ok, time to get back to the real world" .. I have, however, moved several times to be closer to certain elements .. such as mountains, water, etc. .. water has a really calming effect on me .. have to live near it ..

GPER

It would be nice on weekends, I tear too much stuff up so I need my tools/ welder. My mother in law grew up in a log cabin in KY. and she does prefer the modern life.

Bradsalex

I would love to do this, I hope to retire in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. This house would have to have all of the amenities but I would have a "camp" with nothing but a roof and walls and I would stay there as much as possible.

If I were single and didn't have children I would probably do what Backpacking America is doing and just explore the world on my feet.

enzo

I would consider trying this if I'm on vacation. Right now there's no time for me to camp around because of my work schedule but I would be willing to try living in a wilderness cabin, for a month I guess.

HikerChick

I'd try it, but could never do it as a permanent lifestyle now that I know what the "rest" of the world is like. I'm definitely a little too spoiled by technology to give it all up for the rest of my life.

Pebbles

To be honest, probably not. My problem wouldn't be with the wood getting, or water hauling aspects. I'd have trouble with the food getting parts of that life. I am not a hunter and am not that enthusiatic about fishing. If I really had to, could I? I suppose, but going to the grocery store sis more my speed.

boomerang

Can I bring my laptop and get internet connection there? :D If so, I would love to do it. It reminds me of Tom Hanks in Cast Away. I think it's cool to make your own fire using the ancient tool.

Baleigh

I wouldn't want to do it. It's an ideal vacation, but when you do something day after day it becomes really old really fast. If that was my life, what would I do for vacation? Where would I go when I needed to get away from my routine? No, I think I'd prefer to save it for a vacation and keep it special.

MtnManLeap

Where do I sign..........I think I could eat rather well off of a garden, snares, traps, fishing, and hunting

Alexis

I would do it. My husband and I often talk about how we wish we could just disappear into the mountains and spend our time doing nothing but fending for ourselves. Modern life is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Adventurelover

The only thing I would miss would be the electricity. I could handle having a well, growing stuff to eat and everything but I would definitely miss having the internet, it keeps me connected to everyone.

Corky

I could do it. Life moves way to fast, it would be nice to be able to live a lifestyle that wasn't so fast paced. Just to live off the land and not have so much stress and so many worries. I think it would be great. And if I ever started to think I was missing somthing, I'd just visit friends in the city, their hectic lives would remind me why I made the change in the first place.

southerngal

I would definitely want to give it a try. It would be nice to start out just doing it on vacations or weekends and then if it worked for you you could build up to full time living.