Impulse buying

Grandpa

No, I never impulse buy. Yes, I have everything I need for the summer so just dump those gear company emails. Sure, I can handle it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Went to the city today. Stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch with grandma. Looked out the window and lo, right next door, a local family owned sporting goods store. (Al's in Logan) Hmmmm wonder if they have those new water filters Ponderosa was talking about.

After lunch, Grandma and I decided to walk in and uhhh browse. With a new granddaughter and a new great grandson, both from backpacking parents, just might see something interesting. First thing my eyes landed on were Child Carrier backpacks. The one thing we have been looking for on all the used networks and classifieds. The second thing my eyes landed on was the 40% off sign right below them.

We now have all the gear needed for our 4 generation backpack this summer. Grandma and I may be drinking pine needle tea and eating soda crackers and water for supper for the next three months but two little kids just got a ride to the top of the Sawtooths.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Kelty Pathfinder 3 packs. Well, we did save over $240 dollars:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Being a Grandpa can be fun:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

wvbreamfisherman

No, I never impulse buy. Yes, I have everything I need for the summer so just dump those gear company emails. Sure, I can handle it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Went to the city today. Stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch with grandma. Looked out the window and lo, right next door, a local family owned sporting goods store. (Al's in Logan) Hmmmm wonder if they have those new water filters Ponderosa was talking about.

After lunch, Grandma and I decided to walk in and uhhh browse. With a new granddaughter and a new great grandson, both from backpacking parents, just might see something interesting. First thing my eyes landed on were Child Carrier backpacks. The one thing we have been looking for on all the used networks and classifieds. The second thing my eyes landed on was the 40% off sign right below them.

We now have all the gear needed for our 4 generation backpack this summer. Grandma and I may be drinking pine needle tea and eating soda crackers and water for supper for the next three months but two little kids just got a ride to the top of the Sawtooths.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Kelty Pathfinder 3 packs. Well, we did save over $240 dollars:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I can send ya some pine needles and stake you to some Ramen noodles....I understand being gear-poor....

carmen

There is never anything wrong with getting a good deal for something that will be used. I have told everyone I know not to buy me things I won't use, it sits around and collects dust. At least your goodies are going to a good home & will be used!

campclose

Darn all stores and their sales around tax season return time. Glad you spoiled the grandkids! Awesome that four generations go together! I would go broke for that.

ppine

Forester
Some people know how to spend their money. I have always been amazed by people like professional cowboys around here that make $800 a month and all the squirrels they can eat. They wear Pendleton shirts and silk scarves because they have figured out that in the long run they out last cheaper stuff.

woodsman

I rarely get suckered by those 40-80% off signs. I'm usually well behaved, but once in a blue moon I feel the need to shop without checking every pesky detail and comparing prices, at 40 different retailers.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
That is why I typically avoid those appealing shops unless I really need something. I needed a specific map this weekend and went in, right to the map area, got the map and didn't look at anything else, just checked out and got out quick.

ponderosa

I probably could've figured out how to loan you a couple of kid carriers...but that would've deprived you of the fun of getting a great deal and surprising your grandkids. I hope those packs get lots and lots of use.
Now...did you find the filter?!!?

Penelope

If there is a clearance sign in any store, you will find me there. I am the worst impulse shopper out there. I head to the store for a gallon of milk and return with a carload of crap. Maybe someday I will learn, until then I guess I will just have to keep working!

ChadTower

I am sort of that way. I don't spend money on impulse. What I do is find free stuff everywhere and bring it home. And people give me stuff all the time because I am both "the guy with a truck" and "the guy who can fix anything". So if you have a dead 60" TV? It ends up in my house (repaired). If you have a dead washer/dryer? I'll either fix it or repurpose it. I am constantly giving and receiving stuff on Freecycle. It's a variant, I suppose, on the theme. I'm not spending money. I am spending time but I get to do a ton of tinkering and fixing and my house is full of older stuff I repaired as well as things I repurposed.

Hikenhunter

:tinysmile_fatgrin_tYes sir >I will second that one. You have more grands than I do but I can relate to the fact that being a grandpa,( in my case I'm POP.), can be so much fun.

Grandpa

I probably could've figured out how to loan you a couple of kid carriers...but that would've deprived you of the fun of getting a great deal and surprising your grandkids. I hope those packs get lots and lots of use.
Now...did you find the filter?!!?
No, they didn't have a clue about the filters. We bought the packs thinking they could be passed around the family as needed since we have three more over 18 that aren't married yet. But granddaughter has already layed claim to one. They have been saving for one and were tickled we saved them so much money. With the sale price, they have the money. Ooops, had:tinysmile_twink_t2:

ejdixon

I rarely get suckered by those 40-80% off signs. I'm usually well behaved, but once in a blue moon I feel the need to shop without checking every pesky detail and comparing prices, at 40 different retailers.
I wish I have your discipline, woodsman. There are times I feel like a kid in a candy store whenever I see those signs. Thankfully, things are looking up for me, I guess. Been able to steer clear from those huge sales so far.

Grandpa

Damn it!! Grandpa 4 generation together on outing.. well that must be fun out there..
Well I hope we have a 4 generation trip. Granddaughter has been packing the bisquits into that kid. Born Dec 1 and she already has him fattened up to over 16 pounds. Not sure we have anybody strong enough to carry him if she keeps feeding him like that until July:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

When I'm in the supermarket I am frequently prone to buying excess items (more than just what's on my shopping list).

Otherwise, the bulk of my other shopping is via catalog/'net. I'll find something in a catalog that I would like to have. I rip out the catalog page the article is in...place the page (usually along with many others) in a pile on my desk...then review them some days (or weeks) later...and end up throwing them away...!!

Probably saves me quite a bit of ca$h.

Cappy

I am no worse at Cabellas than Peg is at hobby lobby or stage. This is a fact that I remind her every time we drive by Cabellas:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

I am no worse at Cabellas than Peg is at hobby lobby or stage. This is a fact that I remind her every time we drive by Cabellas:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
My problem is different Cappy. I have to keep Grandma out of Cabellas. She is always finding something new to take camping.:tinysmile_twink_t2: Just can't leave her alone for a minute in them type stores.