Inconsiderate people

BGreen

I want to say "dumb," but I'll stop short of that. My brother-in-law has spent thousands of dollars stocking fish in the big pond near his house. Someone bought the land on the other side of the pond and took it upon himself to drain the pond to enable him to build some of his features. My brother-in-law doesn't own the pond, so he has no legs to stand on. Someone far away with another branch owns it, but the land has been barren for the twenty years he has lived for. So guess where the fish are! Dead and gone.

ppine

Forester
Mark Twain said it best- "Whiskey is for drinkin and water is for fightin over." Here in the land of the driest state we fight water wars all the time. Mark Twin used to work down the road at the Territorial Enterprise.

ponderosa

Sorry your bro is out the money, but it's a chance he took since he doesn't own the pond. It isn't quite clear from your post, but is the landowner who drained the pond the guy who owns the pond? If so, I can't fault the guy for doing what he wants with his own pond on his own land. If not, I'd say both your brother who stocked the pond, and the guy who drained the pond, are both taking liberties with someone else's property that they shouldn't.

TakeAHike

Your post was a little confusing but if your brother wanted to stock the pond he should have gotten permission from the owner. I am not sure if the guy who drained it was the owner but if he wasn't, he should have asked permission too. I guess it was something your brother should have thought about before he spent all that .money

BGreen

The owner of the pond has been dead for the last 15 years. His daughter, who lives eight states away, owns the land, but she never visits it. My brother-in-law was the best friend of the original owner, who had told him to do anything with the land he wanted. They were that close. Of course, over time, whenever new people become involved, things change in unspoken ways. The guy who drained the land bought a little piece of land near the pond. He does not own the pond, nor did he bother to check with the owner. It's water over the damn, so to speak. Still, I would have asked around before I took it upon myself to drain a pond. My BIL is just letting it go. He won't be restocking the pond anytime soon.

JeepThrills

He should at least let the daughter know that the pond was drained and who did it. We had the use of a pond at our old house. It always amazed us how many people thought they could drive right up our driveway and up to the pond. The pond owner fixed that by putting up strands of barbwire.