Increase in survival interest

CozInCowtown

The problem with "teaching" shows is they tend to be boring. Watch a cooking show to find out what I mean.
The reality shows tend to be much more entertaining while possibly passing around some useful information.
I don't care for many reality shows like Survivor. I tried but found it not interesting at all but then again I like "teaching" shows on varied subjects like history and gardening.
I am a die hard Duck Dynasty fan though, go figger'!
Coz

ChadTower

I am a die hard Duck Dynasty fan though, go figger'!
Coz

I tried to watch that once. They were all liquored up and shooting into beaver lodges, at night, with high powered rifles. Not only were they being total douchebags but they weren't even smart enough to know beavers are nocturnal and wouldn't even be in the lodges.

Cappy

Reason I dont watch those duck folks is they strike too close to home. They remind me of my family and I have done many of the things i see on the show. if ya dont like liquored up country boys living and enjoying life to the fullest. laughing loving and saying the blessing over a mess of frog legs or crawfish dont come to my house.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I do drink but I aint never seen them do it.

Gondor

Some people are just morons and you can't do anything about it no matter how hard you try to change that. But that doesn't mean you should stop trying. :)

pauldude000

A show with basic ideas would be great for teaching the general public those things that are most important for their survival. Alas the problem would be that it would not contain enough drama to hold the average persons interest. It is good to know though, that some of the basic stuff they are showing has helped someone avoid a tradgedy. I guess there is a little good in these shows after all.
That is why I decided to write PAW fiction there at frugles when they still had the fiction board. Most were writing from other perspectives, so I wrote from a wilderness survival viewpoint, so that people would at least encounter true survival concepts.

I estimated that it would be worth it for one person to read a story, then someday find themselves in a situation where they needed the information, and had it... Even if they couldn't remember where they read it. That is what started the process of me becoming an author to begin with, though at the time I had no intention of turning professional.

Grandpa

That is why I decided to write PAW fiction there at frugles when they still had the fiction board. Most were writing from other perspectives, so I wrote from a wilderness survival viewpoint, so that people would at least encounter true survival concepts.

I estimated that it would be worth it for one person to read a story, then someday find themselves in a situation where they needed the information, and had it... Even if they couldn't remember where they read it. That is what started the process of me becoming an author to begin with, though at the time I had no intention of turning professional.
Pauldude, Which stories did you write? I really enjoyed those Frugal Squirrel stories and was upset when they weren't there anymore.

Last edited:

Marshmallow

I agree with Grandpa about the media influencing what people are doing across the country. When the duck people shows appear on my television, I change the channel. I think it reminds me too much of people in my family, too. I know them too well.

Newanderthal

I believe there are a number of factors at work. Economic and social stress have contributed to similar reactions in the past. Interests in exercise and survival increase when the economy suffers. We have an instinct to prepare for disaster when we see signs of danger. It's a reaction that keeps a species alive.

Also, there's the commercial stimuli. If people show an interest in something, you can bet someone out there is going to try and make a buck off of it. Survival shows hit the air, followed by products endorsed by the show's stars hitting store shelves. I can't tell you how many people I've seen purchasing a Bear Grylls Gerber knife in case of a disaster.

The problem I see is a simple one. Everyone thinks that survival depends on the gear. If you have the right gear, you'll survive. WRONG! If you have all the right gear, you're not in a survival situation. You're camping. Knowledge and practice is what makes the difference, not a thousand bucks worth of trinkets.

Barney

I believe there are a number of factors at work. Economic and social stress have contributed to similar reactions in the past. Interests in exercise and survival increase when the economy suffers. We have an instinct to prepare for disaster when we see signs of danger. It's a reaction that keeps a species alive.

Also, there's the commercial stimuli. If people show an interest in something, you can bet someone out there is going to try and make a buck off of it. Survival shows hit the air, followed by products endorsed by the show's stars hitting store shelves. I can't tell you how many people I've seen purchasing a Bear Grylls Gerber knife in case of a disaster.

The problem I see is a simple one. Everyone thinks that survival depends on the gear. If you have the right gear, you'll survive. WRONG! If you have all the right gear, you're not in a survival situation. You're camping. Knowledge and practice is what makes the difference, not a thousand bucks worth of trinkets.
Nevertheless, wasting time by testing gear is a great hobby! :D I completely agree with you and as I get older I'm trying to cut back on gear shopping as much as I can and concentrate more on what you said.

Gondor

As with everything, people are hung up on what's popular and that means that they will buy a lot of stuff they actually will never need. Take a look in the old days what people used for survival and they were just fine.

JeepThrills

I think it comes around in cycles. Remember when people use to build bomb shelters in their backyard? Whenever the economy is off and people are worried, this kind of stuff comes up.

pauldude000

Pauldude, Which stories did you write? I really enjoyed those Frugal Squirrel stories and was upset when they weren't there anymore.
America Under Siege, Surviving With Joe, and was writing Death Of A Digital World when the forums closed without notice.

I lost around ten chapters of the last one, as my hard drive had crashed, and I was using the forum copy as backup. Stupid I know.

pauldude000

As with everything, people are hung up on what's popular and that means that they will buy a lot of stuff they actually will never need. Take a look in the old days what people used for survival and they were just fine.
I hear you there.

I was recently talking in a different forum to others about a 'survival knife'. Numerous knives were espoused as 'the ultimate survival knife' (which doesn't exist) but one was seemingly getting the most votes, so I checked it out to see what all the fuss was about. Namely the Esee -5.

I am in the wrong business! The knife was $179.95!

Worse, examining the details of the knife, the price and the name were the only things special about it. The steel (1095), handle material (micarta), design (standard drop point straight blade) and function are all average, yet it carried a custom handmade price for an inexpensive to produce factory made knife.

It better be a good knife for the ridiculous price. I am not saying the buyers or users were gullible.

I think many people have been trained to think that more expensive toys somehow function better.

However, what has always been more important is the skill you have with the tools available. Any knife is a good survival knife. What sucks is no knife in a survival situation, which is the probability in a true survival scenario, since no one either expects or chooses to be in the survival situation that they find themselves. That is why it is called survival.

Someone made the point. If you have the gear, then you are camping. I want them to know I was drinking coffee when I read that...

Gondor

I was guilty of buying a few super expensive things, knives included. But to escape this popular consumer logic is very hard. You need to be objective all the time when choosing what to buy which is very hard with all the philosophies present online.