Increasing Cramps

FastTrack

When I was around 16 I went through a bad spell of getting cramps in my thigh. It's started again-I'm much older.

My diet is healthy-is there something I could be lacking?

BigBackyard

I had similar with a lack of salt in my diet. I don't like salt, and I don't add it to anything. I had to drink oral rehydration solutions before I could march (with the airforce).

Grandpa

One of my backpacking pards carries an 8 oz bottle of pickle juice, claiming the pH of the basic vinegar helps nuetralize the lactic acid build-up. I don't have the problem but it seems to help him.

Joe S.

Dehydration or low sodium in your system could be the culprits. I had this problem with my feet, and mentioned it to my doctor. If you consume a lot of caffeine, it's easy to become dehydrated, especially in the winter.

tentmom

Potassium? That could be what you are lacking. I like the answer - dehydration too. I know you can cramp when you are dehydrated. Are you getting the cramps when hiking or all the time?

IndianaHiker

Good responses the number one cause of cramps (I do it as well) is not drinking enough fluids. Today most doctors do not recommend salt tablets like they used as this furthers dehydration. Another thing to look at is your caloric intake when hiking. I am very bad about not eating enough and not drinking enough and with not replacing the calories I am burning this can also cause cramping. Muscle need fuel to work correctly.

MoreTime

I understand that calcium (or lack thereof) can cause problems too, as it interferes with the relay of nerve impulses. Either way, it looks like you have a few things to try now.

IndianaHiker

Interesting article I found on a cycling web site. Has some good info that I had not thought about.

There are 4 things to consider if you are trying to prevent muscle cramps:

training - as with the two other forms of activity related muscle pain, training to the level of the anticipated activity will decrease the possibility of incapacitating cramps.
hydration - dehydration is probably tied as one of the most common causes of muscle cramps.

electrolyte replacement - sweat contains approximately 2 grams sodium/liter, 1 gram chloride/liter,0.2 gram potassium /liter, and 0.1 gram magnesium/liter - and if you are acclimated, these concentrations are even lower. Except in extreme circumstances, dietary intake will replace these losses, but if you are going to be exercising in excessively hot or humid conditions, most trainers would suggest paying close attention to salt intake and even adding 1/2 tsp of salt (1150 mg of sodium) per day to your food. Don't worry about elevating your blood pressure as we are talking about a short term supplement and the sodium effect on blood pressure happens over months to years. A sports drink might help, but it is more likely that just maintaining adequate hydration is more important than the small amount of electrolytes they contain - and water is still a lot less expensive. The role of other micronutrients and vitamins are completely unproven.
In a recent review, it was suggested that magnesium might be an important electrolytes while the following comments suggested calcium might be a culprit as well.

"I read about a study of cramping during the Hotter'n Hell Hundred in Texas. They took blood samples of riders that cramped and riders that didn't. The most common deficiency wasn't calcium or potassium like many would guess, but magnesium. They suggested Rolaids because Rolaids has both calcium and magnesium, whereas Tums only has calcium. I like the fact that Rolaids covers you both ways."

"I have been plagued with leg cramps until a friend suggested standard calcium with magnesium supplements. I would take them prior to bed with a large glass of water. Amazingly, no more cramps. I also suffered during long rides and was concerned during a cross-country tour with my wife last summer. I would take one tablet in the morning and afternoon and of course stay hydrated. Not once during even the most arduous days or while sleeping did I suffer any cramps."

As magnesium is lost in sweat, the idea of a magnesium deficiency is physiologically more attractive than speculation that calcium (almost never a problem physiologically with so much calcium in the bones to draw upon) is at fault.

muscle glycogen reserves - replenishment of ATP is important for proper muscle cell functioning with adequate Caloric intake needed to achieve optimal physical performance. However the role of adequate glycogen reserves in preventing muscle cramps is speculative and requires further investigation.

FastTrack

So there are a number of things that I could be lacking? I guess I'll need to trial some different answers. Seems the rolaids might be a good start, washed down with a little gaitoraid. Thanks all.

Jobiwan

Potassium? That could be what you are lacking. I like the answer - dehydration too. I know you can cramp when you are dehydrated. Are you getting the cramps when hiking or all the time?
I agree with this as well. When you sweat you loose potassium and other minerals. Cramping is usually the first sign of dehydration.
Once I hit the age of 40, I started to bring potassium, B-12 and Vitamin C tablets on my treks and I haven't had any cramping since (close to 5 years). I learned of this after ending up in the hospital for dehydration. The docs told me that certain mineral levels increase and certain levels decrease causing cramping. Potassium loss due to dehydration is one of the biggest culprits that contribute to cramping. Hence the nasty potassium drink they gave me.

yosemitefan

You might consider, along with dehydration (which is a huge indicator), that you also lack magnesium. Try a supplement or even eating a banana on the trail. There could be several underlying issues, not just one, which are all connected in one way or another. Like being dehydrated on top of lacking vitamins or minerals. You might need to try a combination of remedies before you get any relief. Such as exercise and diet/supplement modification. Just don't give up! Staying healthy is a continuous battle.

BCBabe

I can only agree with the comments prior to mine.

It was common for my family to make ice cubes with a pinch of salt in them, and to add a pinch to glasses of water before handing them off to the kidlets: the summers in the BC Plateau could get really hot, drinking a glass of cold water on a hot afternoon would often see one of the children up-chuck it.

And the comment about a banana in the backpack is fantastic; I've an uncle that STILL grow canteloupe up in the Interior, and guess why.... uhuh, he takes one with him when he heads into Bowron, he's adapted a childs' toy hammock to "hang" it from his pack with.

oldsarge

Calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement took care of this issue for me. Took them daily for a month and it did the trick. I used to get cramps in my feet out of the blue. When ever I get any discomfort or restlessness in my thighs, it's a sure bet I'm dehydrated.

Stormypath

It is usually a build up of lactic acid that ends up causes cramps. I find that drinking more water also helps with preventing cramps.

Michael

+1
Bananas and water!!
Bananas, water, and proper stretching will cover a lot of your bases in regards to cramping.

Sometimes, if it's really hot out, I'll add a pinch of salt to my water. Not enough that it really changes the taste of the water. We're by no means talking brine here. Just enough to replenish a bit.

Judy Ann

Yellow Mustard Eases Leg Cramps Home Remedy - The People's Pharmacy®

There is a blood test that measures electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium) plus a few other things that your doctor can order for you. I would recommend a quick visit to your primary care provider just so they can rule out other causes besides dehydration.

Another thing to consider when taking supplemental minerals (sodium, potassium and magnesium) is that your heart depends on maintaining a balance of electrolytes to beat efficiently and maintain a normal rhythm, so you might consider a multivitamin and water or gatorade.

That being said, I heard about yellow mustard helping too.

hikinboot

A friend of mine makes sure to run the last bit of the trail, she says it breaks down the lactic acid that gets built up and alleviates cramping for her.