Is a book too much?

carmen

Today of all days and even with many people remembering late in the day what 9/11 really is, can a book be too much? What person in their right mind would publish sensitive material? He would be trained to not do this, right? I am sure this is not the first nor will it be the last book published about 9/11 and the aftermath.

campclose

I don't get it? Is he releasing it today? I don't see anything wrong with someone writing a book about they way they felt about something. Maybe I don't get the question.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Are you referring to the book that the SEAL wrote? I haven't read it, so can't comment too much.

One might be surprised to find out how much information that we might feel is secret is readily available through various sources, though.

Example: if anyone were to read any weekly copy of the Navy Times (a civilian publication), it would list where each of our aircraft carriers were located the previous week. And each carrier has a sub tailing it somewhere. The carrier also will be in the company of from three to five other warships. This might seem to be priveleged information to the uninitiated.

If the book referred to was written by the SEAL, and secret information was revealed, that may very well be treasonous, and calling for stiff penalties.

JeepThrills

Did it come out today? I just am not sure what I think about him doing that. When my Dad was in the military, we just knew there were certain things you didn't talk about. I wonder what the other Navy SEALS think about it?

oldsarge

The book was release on the 4th. Originally the 11th was the release date but demands moved it up. Eventually I will most likely read the book, but I do feel he was wrong in releasing it. Way too much has been said about this operation, from the White House on down. A simple statement like "American Commandos take down Bin Laden" would have been enough. Now look at all the controversy over statements made in this book.
I recently read an article about two former WWII POW's who witnessed an incident back during the war. Now it's opening up old wounds for many and creating a stir over actions that took place over 60 years ago. I say so what! Decisions made at war are not always 100% the correct action. This isn't a perfect world, we all have to live with our actions, but the point being is that an objective was reached and brought to an end.
Sure, I'd love to know all the juicy details about the raid. I love reading that stuff. But do I need to know it all? NO! I hope they hammer this clown for writing the book. He's nothing more than an arrogant self centered individual who's using his trusted service for personal gain. Not to mention his inconsiderate actions may bring harm to many others which whom he serves.

shaun

I have no issue with him revealing what happened from his point of view. I will not buy the book because I am not particularly interested but I'm sure many people will be. Why should he not talk about his experiences?

oldsarge

I have no issue with him revealing what happened from his point of view. I will not buy the book because I am not particularly interested but I'm sure many people will be. Why should he not talk about his experiences?
It's called "Operational Security". The more the enemy knows about how you operate, the easier it is to defeat you. Besides it also stirs up too much controversy over what actually happened.

JeepThrills

I think the old saying is "loose lips, sink ships." In other words, when someone tells something about a military operation it could could put other lives in danger.

Tubby

I don't like that things like that are allowed out to the general public. It would seem to me to be a breach of security to talk about methods or SEALS information. The security of our information is not something I would like out in general knowledge.