Is bigger better??

Joe S.

I really don't know how people manage with those GIGANTIC motor homes! I have a 25 foot travel trailer, and it's a challenge to maneuver in tight spots at times! I guess it depends on where you like to go?

Bambi

I am always amazed when I see those things pull into a Forest Service campground and park next to somebody in a tent. The noise and the fumes from those things always irk me in that situation too.

Bobby

I much prefer campgrounds where the RVs stay in their own section and the tent campers stay in their own section.

RVs are nice, though, for their purpose. When my aunt and uncle retired, they spent 6 months working their way from Kansas to Alaska and back.

woodsman

Well if you want all the luxuries of home you have to sacrifice a few things I guess, but with practice it's maneuverable just like any other vehicle. If it wouldn't be, you'd see a lot less of them around.

Erwin

I like to tent camp so I don't see the need in huge RV's. You might as well just sleep in a sleeping bag in your house or get a hotel room! That is a really big savings! I have camped in a smaller camper and they are ok.

ChadTower

I am always amazed when I see those things pull into a Forest Service campground and park next to somebody in a tent. The noise and the fumes from those things always irk me in that situation too.

There is one campground my family likes where we are often the only person on our loop that is not in a massive motor coach. These things have got to cost 6 figures. It's crazy. We're in a tent and they are on a queen bed watching a 46" plasma TV. One advantage to that, though, is that the moment it gets dark people in monster RVs disappear - if alcohol is prohibited, and the rule is enforced, everyone with an RV disappears inside to drink at night.

campclose

I do not have a huge RV but I could see myself getting one when I get older. I have no need for one right now. It would be too much like being at home. Camping to me is not a huge RV with a TV and all the luxuries of home.

ejdixon

I much prefer campgrounds where the RVs stay in their own section and the tent campers stay in their own section.

RVs are nice, though, for their purpose. When my aunt and uncle retired, they spent 6 months working their way from Kansas to Alaska and back.
I have to agree. I usually camp with a tent, and there have been instances when there would be some kind of RV that's park near where my tent is pitched. The smell of the fumes and the noise kept me up all night. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

paloma

I love RVs although we do not own one. My dream is to live in one of those when we retire and the children have their own nests. That way we can go anywhere without thinking about hotel bills...

Rosie

Me too, I always try to check out a campground map and make sure that tent spots are separate from RV spots. I don't want to feel like I'm sleeping in a parking lot.

ppine

Forester
Travelling around and talking with people it seems that most people with large RVs use them for long trips and sometimes for the whole winter or full time. For people that usually camp for 3-4 days, and then go home, it is hard to understand the appeal. For people that live on the road, having a walk around bed, storage, a real kitchen, a comfortable chair, and yes TV make sense.

The beauty of the outdoors is that there are so many right ways to enjoy it. Next time an RV gets in your way, try to meet the people.

Forest Service campgrounds in the summer are some of the noisiest place to camp. Working people with a day or two off like to stay up late and drink and get loud. RV people who live on the road are inside by 9 pm and they are really quiet. Generators at the wrong hour are an exception.

Pathfinder1

motorhomes

Hi...

I once saw one of those giants try to navigate through a parking lot in Sausalito. It backed into a parked car and damaged it, then took off.

I notified the police right away. When I later called the police to find out the result of their efforts...they told me that they couldn't find the behemouth...!!

Motorhome 1...police 0...!!

Lorax

I actually went smaller for a few reasons:
-Easier to pull and park
-It's just the two of us
-Easier to maintain
-lightweight
-Efficient
-Fits in NF campgrounds and dispersed wild campsites
-This little 16 ft package has everything we need
-We'd rather spend our time outside than in a camper
-It's got a slide out which really opens it up inside

KZ Recreational Vehicles: Coyote Lite CL163

http://www.rvusa.com/rvs/2012/k-z-coyote-lite-cl-163-travel-trailer-new-los-banos-california-389774

*sample floorplan in first link, sample interior/exterior complete with exorbitantly ridiculous price tag on the second link.

DMan

We do some tent camping, but we also have a good sized fifth wheel. When we go away for a few weeks at a time, we do a lot of hiking, biking and canoeing. We basically wear ourselves out but it's fun. It's nice to have the comfort of the fifth wheel at the end of the day.

Cappy

We have an ultra light 18 ft bumper mount camper and we love it. It's just the 2 of us and like some one said earlier we spend most of ouur time outside anyways. The smaller camper is easy to pull and easy on gas. When ya get older its very nice to have the convience of a camper. Ours is so light and small we often just back into a spot plug in an extension cord and go to bed. in the morning make coffee have breakfast unplug and go. Camp grounds are usually discounted for us ole folks and it makes for lots easier more comfortable and cheaper travel than hoteling it.