Jelly Fish

JimBob

There was a warning at the beach lately because scores of jelly fish were traveling up the shoreline. I went there about two weeks ago and saw the largest one I've ever seen. It was kind of fun actually because there was a big group and we all kept pointing them out. There was a lady that had been scuba diving earlier that day and she got stung by a large one. She had multiple lines on her arm, it looked like she had been lashed by a whip several times. She told us it hurt like hell. It was fun, but scary at the same time spotting them.

Gwen

I think I read somewhere that jellyfish produces toxins when they sting. It can paralyze a person immediately. But they really look great in the water...

wvbreamfisherman

I got stung once in Gulfport, MS. Hurt like the devil, and looked and felt like a line of beestings where the tentacle swiped my chest. I didn't have a strong reaction to it- but it took hours for the sting to go away and about a week to heal up.

nomad

The toxins that jelly fish releases will paralyze a fish. I think it always do that whenever it tentacles will touch something even though it is not a fish. I have seen some as well and I wonder where their brains are.

Freebird11

What you should know before entering the water:
Jellyfish stings are a health hazard all-too-common for beach vacationers. Although most jellyfish stings are harmless (with some exceptions), which can be extremely painful. The results stinging sensation when stingers at the ends of the tentacles of jellyfish and other aquatic animals in contact with human skin, usually while wading or swimming in the ocean.
Jellyfish belong to different classes of invertebrates:
Hydrozoans (eg, Portuguese man of war and fire corals)
Scyphozoans, the "true" jellyfish and the most common
Cubozoans, for example, most toxic "Medusa"
Anthrozoans (sea anemones and corals, which are related to jellyfish, but they are very low toxicity to humans)
Jellyfish stings true (scyphozoans) are generally less toxic than those of the hydrozoans and cubozoans and usually result in injuries to those parts of the skin where contact with the tentacles produces. The skin is a red rash pain, itching, and suggested that may persist for days or weeks. It is possible that an allergic reaction to occur that further increase inflammation and the severity of the rash.
The sting of the Portuguese man of war is more painful than the common jellyfish. Some people have described the sting of the Portuguese man of war as a feeling of being beaten by lightning, and the sting has been responsible for two deaths. The Portuguese man of war is a major invertebrate whose tentacles can reach up to 100 feet long. Tentacles, whether in these animals are capable of causing stings to humans for up to two weeks.

danny28

I went to Jekyll Island last year (in Georgia) and there were a ton of dead jellyfish on the beach. It was crazy! I saw many small jelly fish in the water but none of them bothered me. I was a bit scared though!

wvbreamfisherman

Jekyll Island seems to be a place to encounter jellyfish. I was down there in april of 1970, and the beach was almost covered with them. It stank to high heaven. The water was too cold to be comfortable swimming in anyhow. Otherwise had a nice time- the campground was absolutley jammed with families on Easter break. We got some wonderful shrimp and fresh fish at the market in Brunswick.