Junk in the water

Fox38

There is nothing I hate worse than going fishing and catching a bunch of junk that was put in the water (beer cans, plastic, etc.) Anyone run into this a lot? I hope no one here dumps things in the water.

HikingGuy

Where we go camping we usually have to clean it up before we set up camp. We are firm believers that you leave it as you found it with the exception of it being trashed when you get there. It's on a river so there is always stuff in the river, makes me angry the disrespect.

hydethebeef

Something we try to do and to teach the children is to clean up all of your own trash and then pick up one or two more things. I try to explain to them that if every one cleaned up after themselves and picked up one or two extra things the world might be a better place.

jason

fear no beer
I see it while kayaking, no so much when fishing, which is rather strange other then I fish the flats more then rivers where I go kayaking. But when kayaking I usually have an extra bag with me for picking up trash. There is one kayak rental that if you bring in 5 pieces of trash, they give you something, I cannot remember what at the moment. But it was a couple of soda's or something like that.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Makes you want to strike out at the prblem doesn't it?

About ten years ago, my neighbor who owns a dairy farm of about two hundred acres cleaned up his roadsides and found an amazingly high percentage of McDonalds refuse. He loaded it all into the bed of his pickup truck, drove to the local McDonalds, pulled up in front, climbed into the bed and used a pushbroom to dunp all of it into the parking lot. The manager came out and inquired as to his purpose. He said: I'm just returning your property. Your customers keep trying to feed it to my cows but they don't seem to want it.

campershell

That is one of the worldwide problems facing our generation. We enjoy the beauty of nature but some of us do not know how to take care of it, or do not know how to care for it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
That is one of the worldwide problems facing our generation. We enjoy the beauty of nature but some of us do not know how to take care of it, or do not know how to care for it.
Actually none of us know how to do it right. We're still learning.

There are the pompous few like PETA who seem to think they know what they are doing with no regard for repurcussion. I always figured your best bet is to take what you need and leave the rest. If you leave it the way you found it, you can come back and take more as needed. I've done this all my life but always found there was some jerkweed who would screw it up with greed or some liberal policied politician's view of an idyllic world.

That's why I bought a big stretch of land. I make the rules here.

paloma

Lucky for you, dinosaur, that you have your own turf to do what you want. Most of us have to share nature with some ignorant jerks who know only how to get the fun out of nature without regard for its care.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
very unfortunate but true! There are so many that call themselves outdoorsman but they really don't have a clue what it is all about. And I think dino is right, we are all still lerning. I just wish that people would stop and think about all the trash that makes it's way into nature, it truely is depressing.

Morgan

I am guilty of this sometimes. I love nature but there are times that my laziness and carelessness sets in that I just throw the food wrapper anywhere. I'm ashamed of it and I want to amend this behavior. Thanks for this topic as I see my mistake.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
Admitting the guilt is not easy for you Morgan, I know, I used to be the same way. Now I go every year and get a group of guys and gals together and we clean trash out of our favorite trout stream. It is the only one we have locally that is a good fishing stream so we have decided that it is time we take better care of it. It is tough to go out for a relaxing day of trout fishing and find a bunch of trash on a stretch we cleaned previously, the anger is so intense it is hard to express, I want to catch the idiots and just choke the - - - out of them. :tinysmile_angry2_t:
If you catch yourself being lax, make it a point to force yourself to pick it up, then force yourself to pick up trash that someone else left, it will make you feel better! a punishment of sorts!