Keeping Something Packed

CatsEye

I don't know why I feel this way but I do. I feel like I need to stay packed for a trip all of the time with basics already in my backpack. I don't know if we will ever have a disaster big enough for me to need it but it makes me feel better. Look at what happened in New Orleans.

Michael

You seem to have independently arrived at the notion of a bug out bag.

There are different approaches, but the common tactic for this sort of thing is to pack the minimum amount of stuff to get you through a 72 hour period. The thing is kept packed up and ready to go, preferably right by your door. So if something happens that would necessitate that you leave your house during an emergency, you grab it as you dash out the door.

Google "72 hour kit" or "bug out bag" for many, many different articles on this. There's a lot of overlap between bug out bags and camping in general.

IndianaHiker

I do the same thing but not to have a bug out bag but because I like to have my gear together and if I want to do a overnighter in the spur of the moment. However there are some things that you shouldn't leaved packed. The biggest is your sleeping bag. A sleeping bagged should never be stored compressed. Rather that be in a compression bag or stuffed tightly in a backpack. You will find that your bag will lose loft and not be as warm if stored that way for a long time. The second thing to be mindful of is food in your back. This can attract mice and cause them to eat a whole in your backpack.

lbean

I like to keep things together and packed as well. Sometimes an opportunity comes my way but with a very small window. So I want to stay ready to go at all times so I can seize any opportunities that come my way.

MendyUSA

Great point by IndianaHiker about storing the bag un-compressed I'd extend that to storing your tent also. Totally dry, loosly rolled or folded in something breathable. A paper grocery bag or pillow case or somthin.

Tired_Sneakers

I understand how you feel. I have been researching this lately. I have even been researching on how to deal with different disasters. I think that even if you don't actually do everything you read, at least you have an idea of what to do in case of certain emergencies. I will definitely check the 72 hour kit.

jake_6_6

Good word on the sleeping bag, IndianaHiker. I never thought of that. I'm going to unroll mine tonight, fluff it, and fold it up.

IndianaHiker

The best way to store a sleeping bag in either hanging or in a breathable bag. Most higher end bags come with a storage bag. It is usually made of cotton and you can place stuff the bag into it. By stuff I don't mean cram it on tight the bag is over sized compared to the stuff sack that came with the sleeping bag. I would use that or I have heard of people using a pillow case to store sleeping bags in.