Keeping the Tent Clean

Archer

How difficult is it for you to keep dirt, mud, sand, and other forms of mess out of the tent? I camp on the beach a lot, and keeping sand out is near impossible - we make everyone leave their shoes outside, but sand gets in so many other places as well.

BigBackyard

No, I've not managed to keep the tent clean yet. I just do what I can, and then get it cleaned out at the end of the trip before it gets stored away again.

grand

It is impossible to keep the inside of the tent as clean as we would like it to be especially when there are young ones with us.

Smokey

I keep one of those little brushes and dustpans with me when I go camping so when everything is out of the tent, I can brush up the dirt that gets tracked it. It isn't perfect but it gets the job done.

campclose

I'm with everyone here.... I have not found a way to keep it clean without me sweeping it out. That is a chore too because the air mattress is in there and usually the suitcases!

Flowerchild

My family is pretty good at keeping the inside of the tent clean. I have little rugs on the outside of the tent doors. Everybody takes their shoes off before they reach the rug. Then they step on the rug and go inside the tent. I also sweep the tent out every evening before bedtime.

GPER

I have a beach mat that I put outside the tent door, then a rug inside the tent where the shoes are removed.

3ofusnow

I must admit I never thought about putting rugs inside and outside the tent entrance. Definitely something I am going to give a try though. I usually just try to sweep it out.

frank6160

I have a couple of mats I use. One outside the door and one inside. This helps but with a little one it's hard to keep it as clean as I would like.

911 Dispatcher

Ok after reading this post and seeing all the hastles everyone is having with keeping the tents clean I have a option for everyone to think about using.

I use a LARGE blanket that is no longer going to be used fo sleeping.

Me personaly, I use a LARGE cotton blanket that you find at the hospitals... I got this being a Paramedic years ago so they work very well... Kinda like having carpet for your tent. I just fold it in at the end of the trip take it outside and shake it out.

Hilltopper

We do the same as most everyone, take the shoes off before you go in the tent. Also, we don't eat in the tent. But, it's camping, a little dirt is a part of the deal.

Bumpkin

The mats and blankets are a good idea that I'll have to try. Up until now, I've just gotten used to living in filth when camping, lol. Even now when we're staying in a camper, it's a constant mess.

Yab9

I usually just leave the shoes outside and wipe my feet with a towel. Dirt comes in anyway but at least it's not a lot of it.

ppine

Forester
For camping at the beach keep a shallow dish pan full of water by the door. Have people take off their shoes and step in the pan before going inside the tent.

Grandpa

A furniture store owner friend gave us an old carpet sample pack when his supplier replaced it with a new pack. These carpet samples were about 15" x 30".

Grandma has one of these samples outside the tent to wipe feet before going inside. At night, we just slide it under the tent in case of rain or dew. Shake it out as necessary and the tent stays relatively clean without taking time to remove shoes.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
You would think a hammock would be easier to keep clean, but the feet always bring something in. I usually tie a knot in my shoelaces and hang them over the hammock suspension cord under the fly. I back in, and try to brush my feet off as best I can before pulling them in. Something always follows me in, to say less if I have to get out and pee at three a.m.

Judy Ann

I keep a towel below the hammock for wiping off my feet and for the old dog to lay on. Additionally, I put on wool socks at night, can't stand grit.

Esperahol

I try to tent by something like a medium-sized stone or a stump so I can kick off most of the grit before going in. I also wear socks because I hate grit, but hey it's camping. That said I don't believe in eating inside the tent.