Kids and tents

Ilovelife

This year my 8 and 9 year old want to have their own tent when we go camping. I think that they are much to young to have their own tent. What do you guys think?

Grandpa

Only you can answer whether they will stay in it all night without you. But then I live where they will be reasonably safe alone.

FreshAirLover

Yeah, I think they're probably too young, although this is just my personal opinion based exclusively on age. When it comes to camping, some kids are very skilled and forgetive, while others catch things somewhat slower... Only you can decide if your kids can handle the responsibility of having their own tent.

CozInCowtown

What is gonna happen???
Get them a freakin' tent and let them have some fun!!!
Set down a basic set of rules and turn them loose. You will still be just feet/yards away in the next tent over.
At the worst you and your significant other will have to sleep in a tent together without kids around, what could possibly happen???
DC

KeikoOka

Yeah, I am guessing you will be really nervous and up all night anyway. The tent will be right next to yours and you are going to be able to hear everything. It would only take you seconds to unzip your tent, stick your head out and be at their tent. I say they are fine.

Ilovelife

You are right, I am a light sleeper anyway, and if the tent is right next to ours I could hear them. I suppose that I never thought about it that way. I might give them a trial run and see what happens.

Gus

Tent Camper
What is gonna happen???
Get them a freakin' tent and let them have some fun!!!
Set down a basic set of rules and turn them loose. You will still be just feet/yards away in the next tent over.
At the worst you and your significant other will have to sleep in a tent together without kids around, what could possibly happen???
DC
CozInCowtown has it exactly right! 8 and 9, is a great learning age for camping. The more independence you allow them to develop, the more they will enjoy the camping adventure. Aren't you taking them camping to teach them stuff?

And besides, if you give some thought to their tent placement, they can be your "bear alarm", - giving you more time to get away.

ChadTower

Might want to make sure they can help you set up their tent and take it back down. If they want their own tent they should be expected to do some of the work it brings too. If they can't, or won't, help then they don't get their own tent.

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
I have worked with boys from 1st grade to 12th grade and have had very few problems of any kind if you set the ground rules up front. ChadTower is right it's a graet chance to teach responsibilty by making them help set up and take down the tent and teach them proper care. Remember if they have fun camping at this age when they get older they will remember the good times and take thier kids camping. "Camp and Live Longer"

Hank

I think the eight or nine is a good age for a first tent I had one at that age but my parents never went camping so I lost interst but it had nothing to do with my age more a lack of camping by my parents.

energystuff

Bit off subject here but read the book "the last american man". It's about a boy who grows up camping and living in the woods. I think he's a great example of someone who, regardless of age, was always camping outside and just had a knack for it. I think eight and nine is plenty old. You could always start your kids out camping in the yard before you go "real" camping, that way they can come back into the house with you at night if they don't make it and it's no big deal. ps. I have the REI half dome tent for two and it's great, recommend it if you're considering a new tent purchase

mccallum

There will be two of them so there is safety in numbers. Keep the tent within ear shoot like use the tent peg from your tent to peg a corner of thiers! Things should be fine; if not well . . .

woodsman

They should be fine, they probably won't go off on there own in the middle of the night anyway, but you know your kids best, so the question is can you trust them or not?

Smack

My daughter and her friend Alley, have had their own tent for years, ever since they were 7. We go camping a lot, and it's usually just me and the girls (my wife and I are seperated), so of course they get their tent (just a few yards away) and I get mine.......and more luxuries :) .

bachse

I would think that it would be more dependent on how familiar they are with camping than their age. If you already know that they like camping and will want to do it a lot in the future then there is no reason to not get them a separate tent and give them more opportunities to be responsible and help put up and take down and maintain their own tent. Basically, I agree with RoyalAmbassador.