Kids backpacks?

sailorman

Does anyone know where I can get some decent kids camping/hiking backpacks? The back to school backpacks around here are not well made and would never do for camping or hiking!

Hyde

You aren't going to find something like that at your local Wal-Mart. Most outdoors stores will have a kids section with the kind of backpack you want. For about $50 you can get something like this at Cabela's too.

Grandpa

Several retailers in our area carry youth backpacks. These are internal framed with good hip belts and adjustable harness and run 40-70 dollars. I just went in and looked at one of my grandsons who stores his here. It is a Hi Tec Nova 55+10 and was purchased at a Big 5 sporting goods store for about $49 or 59 dollars. He uses it about 2 weeks a year for the last 6 or 7 years and it is still just like new.
http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/members/grandpa/albums/hiking-pards/1250-tc-age-11/

I have a couple of coleman xponent youth packs I let the kids use when they are about 5-10 years old. These do have hip belts but the harness is only adjustable to strap length. This is the boys using the colemans when they are eight.

http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/members/grandpa/albums/hiking-pards/1011-jake-tc-caribou-nf-idaho-2002/

These packs weighed less than a pound and at eight yrs old, these boys were carrying their sleeping bags, warmer clothes and freeze dried food for 2 nights out.

Last edited:

Lamebeaver

I got my kids backpacks (Kelty Colorado external frame) at Sportsman's Warehouse. Of course that was several years ago.

ponderosa

Deuter makes great kids' packs, and there is a great sale on them here:
Backpack Nantahala Outdoor Center, NOC - Kayaks, Kayak Gear, Paddlesports Gear, Whitewater Kayaking Gear, Kayak and Kayaking Gear Sales

Look for the Fox 30, Fox 40, and Junior Backpack. These are very good quality, full-featured packs sized for kids.
For my toddler and pre-schooler, I found a deal on ebay for little packs by Pottery Barn Kids. Shockingly enough, they are good little packs with curved, padded shoulder straps and stretch mesh pockets. There are always a lot of them on ebay, but they typically have a name embroidered on them (which is why they're cheap). I snipped out the embroidery, and covered the spot with a cutesy patch that made my girls happy.