Knives

grand

How many knives do you bring when you go camping. Aside from the kitchen knives, do you also bring bigger knives, like a jungle bolo with you?

enzo

I have a Swiss knife aside from kitchen knife. This pocket knife of mine always comes in handy and I use it for all purposes - cutting ropes, peeling vegetables, screwing loose screwdrivers and more.

Newanderthal

Leatherman Skeletool. basic multi-tool with a 3.5" blade.

No need for anything more when I'm camping.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Based on my own experiences, a good knife is probably the single most important piece of survival equipment a person should always carry, along with a good fire striker.

Any time I go into the wilderness I have my bush knife on a cord around my neck and shoulder. I wear it like a satchel or shoulder bag. This keeps it handy on my chest when I need it, and worn in this fashion it doesn't flop around when I bend or have to climb or something. It's much easier to re-sheath too. I don't have to turn half way around and fumble with an unseen sheath on my belt.

It's a heavy knife between 9 and 10 inches long with a good, thick blade that can handle splitting wood, shale knapping, pounding nails, and pretty much any other abuse I have thrown at it. Honestly, unless I lose it, I can't see this knife ever needing to be replaced. In my pack I carry a small folding Buck and a Leathermans tool which has a very good smaller blade. There is also a machete that lives in the Jeep. Lol, if the whole world broke wind at once, I can knap a sharp stone pretty quickly too.

Another small folding knife and my flint striker are in my pocket at all times. Even grocery shopping. You never know when you might need to whittle a shelter and start a small camp fire in the frozen foods aisle :tinysmile_grin_t:

southerngal

NorthernBushape you sound like my kind of guy! We have started trying to be prepared for anything all the time. We are actually still shopping around for our survival knife but hubby and I both carry a swiss army pocket knife everywhere we go. We have been looking at leatherman's but man are they expensive!

duck

How many knives do you bring when you go camping. Aside from the kitchen knives, do you also bring bigger knives, like a jungle bolo with you?
I carry an ESEE-5, which is thick and heavy, but not too long. It's been a good compromise between a big chopper and a handy cutter for me. A Kershaw folder goes in my pocket as soon as I get my pants on in the morning; it handles stuff where I want finer control than the big knife gives me (like skinning small game, etc.). Between the two I can do pretty much anything I need to. I keep a spare folder in my bag (an old S&W HRT). I've discovered that folders are unfortunately a bit easier to lose than I'd like them to be.

IndianaHiker

I backpack and often am out for days at a time. I carry only a 4 inch fixed blade knife. Never saw a time when I needed anything bigger. Really don't need anything that big. But I have it and I like it. I could do anything it can do with a smaller knife pocket knife but would just take longer.

JRiley

I believe you can never have enough knives when camping. I usually have a large fixed blade Buck, a folding Buck that I have carried since I was in the Army (it is very good for whittling), a Gerber multi-tool, a smaller folder pocket knife and a hatchet. Sometimes more but never any less.

JimBarb

I have just the one knife I take, it's an 8" bladed beast with a serration along a portion of the 'top' of the blade. It was a gift, it was hand-made by a friends' uncle. There's something about how the knife is balanced in your hand that makes it feel "comfortable".

Jade

I have several I take; the smallest two are actually on a key chain that I carry in my purse. One of them is a utility tool (handy little sucker!) that has 2 jackknife blades included. The other appears to be a tiny penknife, which also has a few other goodies lurking in it's design, like tweezers.

Those and a hatchet, and I'm usually pretty good to go.

Bear Warrior

I carry a Ka-Bar Army knife and a mora whenever I go out. I also keep a pocket knife as well but swear by the Ka-Bar. I have even chopped wood with it. With my knives I don't need an axe or hachet. The Ka-Bar carries a good edge and sharpens easily.

Michael

I always have my CRKT with me, unless I need to go somewhere with metal detectors. Otherwise it's always clipped to my right hip pocket.

When I go into the woods, I generally add my Mora and Victorinox. The Mora gets used for heavy work. The Victorinox usually gets used for fine work.

I also carry a saw when I'm camping. I find that between the knives and the saw, I'm pretty much set for anything. Big knives can be fun, but I've never felt like I need one when I have my usual kit with me.

jnagel32

I carry a CRKT Stiff Kiss Serrated Tanto blade when backpacking. Has a skeleton handle and it's wrapped with paracord. I have a Swedish Steel fire starter attached to the paracord lanyard... I always have a Gerber multi tool on me as well.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I carry a CRKT M16, a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife and a a small thumbnail lockback folder with me at all times. These are my pocketknives. When camping, I also carry a large heavy bladed hunting knife. It's really a survival knife made by United Cutlery that I reground then reworked the grip for my own touch. With patience it will cut down a tree.

Keep'em sharp!

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Since my first reply in this thread I have changed my main go-to knife. I became, uh, separated from my old beloved Winchester and now carry a Becker BK-2. I have also added a Mora Triflex to my EDC as the Becker is too heavy to lug around in my work bag. The Becker is a true survival knife though and I don't enter the woods without it. The Mora is better suited for carving and finer work but lacks the full tang. As tough and versatile as it is, it will never rise above second knife.

Mountainman

I have a large collection of used knives in several locations throughout my home. But, the one knife I go to all the time is a "hunter" swiss army knife similar to the one shown here Wenger Ranger 57 Hunter Swiss Army Knife: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

In addition, when I hunt big game, I have become especially fond of one I had made by a local knife maker based on a design by Elmer Keith. It essentially has a 5 inch blade and looks very similar to the picture at Elmer Keith

I also keep a couple of old mop handles available and my hollow handled cold steel Bushman knife along with a few tomahawks ready to go when I head to the Bob Marshall wilderness area located about an hour's drive and 4 to 8 miles on foot or horseback. The Bushman is a very versatile "camp" knife and can become a valuable survival tool - see Bushman Series : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives)

Bear Warrior

When I go out in the field I carry my KA-Bar Army knife that I had from my Army days way back in the 70s and a Rat 3 plus my Gerber multi tool that I carry in a cargo pocket. I have never had any problems with any of these knives. They have always pulled through for me.