Kosher salt crusted roast

WildRover

Does anyone know how to cook this? I've heard you just roll a roast in kosher salt and throw it on the coals and let it cook. That sounds a bit too simple to me. Surely there must be more to it.

Hazel

Any roast should be done "Slow and low". If salt is the only flavor used the roast would dry out and you'd have to eat shoe leather for dinner.

Eaglescout 49

Hi WildRover

Dinosaur and Hazel are spot on -- a roast needs a slow fire and a pot. Here's a recipe for salt-crusted roast that I have made at home. It's delicious, but I really don't think it's a good one for camping.

Kosher Salt Encrusted Prime Rib Roast

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 4 Hours 30 Minutes
Ready In: 4 Hours 40 Minutes
Servings: 6

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups coarse kosher salt
4 pounds prime rib roast
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon seasoning salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 210 degrees F (100 degrees C).
2. Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with a layer of kosher salt. Place the roast, bone side down, on the salt. Season the meat with the ground black pepper and seasoning salt, then cover completely with kosher salt.
3. Roast in preheated oven for 4 to 5 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
4. Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes. This sets the juices and makes the roast easier to carve. (Note: Be sure to remove all the salt from the roast before serving.)

Gabbie

I've always wanted to cook a prime rib roast but have been hesitate in fear I would mess it up. This sounds pretty simple to do and I think I will be brave and give it a try! :) Thanks for posting it.