Leave No Trace II

Grandpa

Spring is coming and with spring comes the mass human assault on our woods and wilderness. And with these humans come all manner of camping ettiquette. While reading previous LNT posts, such as http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/f94/leave-no-trace-9021/
I see that even in this forum opinions vary as to what constitutes good LNT principles. I have hiked and camped with people from every corner of this great nation and virtually everyone wants to be good stewards of our wild lands. But sometimes, their stewardship isn't always complete or what is best for the land. So with spring, comes a rehash of this important topic. Or at least my opinions on what is important.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

My favorite list of principles for LNT is that advocated by the Boy Scouts of America. It is a broad spectrum guide, which is important because specific guides are designed for specific areas. Each area supervisor determines those principles that are best for his area and these principles can vary from area to area. I am going to list the seven principle headings in the BSA version. If you want to read the entire text, you can do so here;Leave No Trace. I will list the headings followed by MY interpretations based on what I have seen in various areas of the country.

1. PLAN AHEAD AND PREPARE.
Know the rules for the area you are visiting. If you are camping in a "no fire" area, be sure to bring a stove or suitable method for preparing meals.

2. TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE SURFACES.
This means stay on trails and DO NOT cut corners on switchbacks. If traveling off trail, then spread out to diminish the damage to plants.

3. DISPOSE OF WASTE PROPERLY (Pack it in, pack it out)
This is probably the most disregarded or misunderstood of all LNT principles. There are areas where human waste will degrade and places where it will not. Likewise, toilet paper. Know the rules for where you are at. Some areas require a cathole of at least 6-8 inches, some require less than 6 inches and some require that all human waste be carried out. Some places you can bury both waste and paper, other places the paper must be carried out, and other places everything must be carried out. If you don't want to abide by the rules, STAY OUT.

4. LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND.
When I was in the 4th grade (more than a half century ago and long before it was a NP) A sweet girl in my class visited the petrified forest in Arizona. She was so nice, she got a box and brought back a piece for everyone in the class. Imagine what that place would look like now if every visitor did the same. Also, rembember, the antiquities act now makes you a felon if that arrowhead sneaks into your pocket. As Chief Seattle says, (or so I have been told) "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories".

5. MINIMIZE CAMPFIRE IMPACTS.
Yes, you can still have a campfire in some areas, but with that fire comes the responsibilites of cleaning up after yourself. And remember, aluminum foil does not burn, pack it out.

6. RESPECT WILDLIFE.
Feeding that deer is not being friendly, it is giving it a death warrant. Your picture of that bison is close enough. Get a little closer and your grandkids will be singing, "grandma got run over by a buffalo".

7. BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER VISITORS.
This topic has been the subject of many threads in this forum. Nuff said?

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Before LNT there was ...'Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures". A little simplistic perhaps but easy to remember.

ppine

Forester
Backpackers are some of the only people left that seem to be sensitive to how they leave things. Car campers have gotten a lot worse since the old stop littering campaigns. It doesn't matter where you go in the West. WA and OR seem to be the least bad. Hunters leave all sorts of stuff a lot of times. We need a new stop littering campaign.

Hikenhunter

Backpackers are some of the only people left that seem to be sensitive to how they leave things.
While that might be true in a broad sense you oughta see how badly the shelters are pigged up along the Appalachian Trail. I have never understood how people who head to the backwoods for all it's splendor, no matter what their activity is, can leave their crap behind for someone else to deal with.

troutstalker

RIGHT ON GRANDPA! The slogan in the Adirondacks is" If you bring it in bring it out" Which is sometimes ignored by the ignorant slobs of this world.

Cappy

In our world it's more like take what you need and damage nothing. We hunt, fish, gather berries, nuts, fruit, hustle wood etc while doing no damage. It's even harder that way but the way we feel God meant it to be.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I never thought that much about other people, I just like the look of a pristine wilderness. It'll never be exactly the same in any given place. It's a work in progress.