Leave No Trace

HikerChick

Has anyone heard of this program, which emphasizes experiencing the outdoors in such a way that you leave them unaffected by your presence? It's an interesting concept that seems extreme sometimes in the effort its followers go to...but even if everyone took just a little advice from it, I think all of our outdoor experiences would be greatly improved.

FireBuilder

Any cub scout can tell you about Leave No Trace. Their principles are: (1) plan ahead; (2) use durable surfaces; (3) pack it in, pack it out; (4) leave what you find; (5) campfire safety; (6) respect wildlife; (7) respect other visitors.

Great advice for anyone!

IndianaHiker

The cavers have it much more difficult with leave no trace. Just a simple slip of the foot or hand could destory a stalegment that was thousands of years in the making.

Leave no trace if in the back county involves lots more as well. Not building fire that scar the land. You have to use a container. Removal of every bit of waste you create to include your own human wastes. Not wearing colors that are to bright as not to distract others from enjoying nature. Many of the concepts I agree with. However some I think go alittle to far. Here is a link for those that are interested.
Leave No Trace :: Programs :: Principles