LED Light Advise

woodzman

I need a new flashlight to use when I'm backpacking and I'd like to give the LED's a try. I need something small, but reasonably bright, with a decent amount of run time between battery changes. Any suggestions?

Archer

I don't have any particular brands to suggest, but I can tell you that you're making a good move. Those things are bright and don't suck up as much energy from the batteries - even the smallest ones are nice to have for around the campsite!

failghe

I use a small 3 LED headlight for work. I put it on over my baseball cap. I like it because it is small, uses 2 AAA batteries, the light shines wherever my eyes/head look, and leaves my hands free. No more holding a flashlight for me. Been using them for years.

woodzman

I use a small 3 LED headlight for work. I put it on over my baseball cap. I like it because it is small, uses 2 AAA batteries, the light shines wherever my eyes/head look, and leaves my hands free. No more holding a flashlight for me. Been using them for years.
I hadn't really given the clip on type much thought, thinking they wouldn't be bright enough, but after reading your post I'm going to have to try one. I'll see if I can pick one up locally today. If not, I'll order one from Cabela's.

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it.

woodzman

I am glad that we can help. This is a very friendly place.
I agree, you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people. That's one of the things that attracted me to the site to begin with.

I bought a clip light the other day and I have to say that I'm impressed.
I'm going to get another one strictly for camping and keep the one I have now for every day use. Thanks again.

Barney

I have more than one suggestion, it all depends on your needs and your budget. Surefire E2L Outdoorsman costs around 150$ but it gives 100 hours of 3 lumens light with two AA batteries, not bad. It also has a second mode where extra strong 60 lumens light lasts for 11 hours.

Last edited:

woodzman

Thanks for the advise Barney. The Surefire E2L sounds like a nice light, but It's a little pricey for me. I ordered one of the Extreme series lights from Cabela's the other day. Ten LED, runs on AA's, with a run time of 100 hours, $39.99. Thanks again.

Barney

No problem I am glad you found something that will suit you. Can you tell me what is the lumen strength of that particular flashlight?

woodzman

It's eight lumens when used on low power and ten lumens on high Barney. No where near the power of your E2L, but It's plenty for the things I'll use it for.

Topaz

I keep a Nanolight by Streamlight on my jackets zipperpull. It's bright a 10 lumens and will last 8-10 hours on the small button batteries.

Newanderthal

I use a cheap LED headlamp I got from Walmart. It was about $8. I've used it for years. I think it's made by Energizer. Give it a try.

OpenAir

I have a cheap three pack of little LED lights. I haven't a clue on the lumen rating but they are bright. The batteries last a very long time, so far I have used them for five complete nights, through the night (8 hours plus each night) without changing. I'll take them out with me next time we go.