Live Bait

campershell

We used to gather worms as live bait for fishing. But there is no time for that now. Do you still use live baits when fishing?

Camoguy

Yup. I get night crawlers though. The fish like them much better it seems. I've also used grub worms and other creepy crawlers sometimes just to see what the fish like. The grub worms did really well with the catfish.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Nightcrawlers, redworms, waxworms, mousies, crickets, minnows, grasshoppers and crayfish. The best bait is live bait. The next best is real food bait like a chicken leg or a chunk of beef liver for catfish. Another good one is mulberries. Slip them onto a hook and flycast for carp.

Pumpy

I used to get nightcrawlers and redworms. Anymore I do not have time to fish, and when I do I do not have time to stop and get live bait if I want any time left to fish.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Pity, pumpy. I always figured if you don't have the right bait it doesn't matter how long you fish. You won't get much of a shore lunch.

JimBarb

I prefer live bait when I'm mooching or spin-casting. I've been written off as dangerous with a fly-rod.

I prefer "skanky" chicken if I'm putting out a crab trap: don't ask me why, but it works better than anything I've tried.

HikerChick

Why don't you have time for collecting worms anymore? I've gone fishing with people who've bought worms, though I find it silly. I guess it's a great way around a time constraint, though.

nomad

If you have time to fish then you sure have the time to find some live baits. If you really are lazy to search for live baits then you can buy them. I always prefer live baits as it attracts fish much better.

dinosaur

troublemaker
HikerChick and nomad, you're absolutely right. If you have time to go fishing, you have time to go out at night with a flashlight and catch a few nightcrawlers. And any moron with a shovel can dig bait.

AK Hunter

Another good one is mulberries. Slip them onto a hook and flycast for carp.
Yep all kinds of bait are available at your local bait shop, it is also a good place to find friendly conversation that is where I was told that caned corn is a good bait for carp in the spring. Anyone tried this?

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I get crawlers and leaf worm for fishing. The crawlers I pick my self every spring and keep them in an old fridge out in the garage. The leaf worms I buy at first then turn them loose in a seperate bed in the same fridge as the crawlers and let them reproduce, if you get the temps just right you can raise worms year around.

NebraskaBorn

for catfish i always use live perch or shad they hit it like crazy, but thats all i use live bait for besides worms for catching the bait fish

Joe S.

Some places like where I live prohibit the use of live baits so as to not adulterate the native species found in the lake system. Hard to belive, but true.

Chippin

I always, always use live bait when I fish. There are some really fancy fake lures out there, but I've never gotten any worthwhile fish from them. Normally I just use nightcrawlers and sometimes mealworms, but the latter are harder to keep on a hook for me.

ChadTower

Some places like where I live prohibit the use of live baits so as to not adulterate the native species found in the lake system. Hard to belive, but true.

Not so hard to believe. Many places in New Hampshire's park system do this. All it takes sometimes is someone to drop a couple perch in a small body and BAM there go your native species.