Living in a tree house

camp1

I was invited to a picnic this summer at someones summer camp. I was shocked to see that this man has built a 5 story tree house! It was amazing! We were up in the tree for the picnic. He had a huge deck with a hammock that hung over the ground which was about 50 below! It was crazy.

What is the wildest camp you have ever seen?

Foxyloxy

Wow, that sounds like something Tarzan would live in, lol. It does sound really amazing, but I wonder how he ensures long term stability in the house. I mean, what happens to the house as the tree grows and what if there was ever a storm severe enough to take down limbs of the tree?

calanta

I have been playing around online all day and about 10 minutes ago I was playing around on Facebook a little and someone had invited me to one of those groups. Oddly this totally reminds me of what I was looking at!

camp1

I was so bummed, I didn't even have my phone with me so I couldn't take any pics!

I wonder about the tree growing? It was a 5 story house and you had to climb up straight ladders to get up to the next story. It was very cool!

It reminded me of George of the Jungle.

climber4life

Is this even legal? I'd love to try it sometime. I used to dream of this sort of thing when I was little (who doesn't?) and it's cool to hear about an adult living in this sort of setting.

2coastcamper

Is this even legal? I'd love to try it sometime. I used to dream of this sort of thing when I was little (who doesn't?) and it's cool to hear about an adult living in this sort of setting.
It is legal if you've met at least three qualifications:
1. You own the land (or have permission to be there, like renting and whatnot)
2. You obtained a building permit prior to construction
3. The land is slated as "residential."

There are other factors of legality, such as neighborhood/town ordinances. But, yes, it is possible to live legally in a treehouse.

Christie

There was a big to-do in one of the suburbs around my area one year. A family built a regular kid-friendly tree house for there two young boys. They followed all the rules, got the permit and all that. But they lived on a corner lot and the house was visible and the neighbors didn't like it. The neighborhood association actually took them to court to take it down.

southerngal

That's just mean Christie! If they followed the rules and there were no prior neighborhood covenants about it they should have been allowed to keep it. I think living in a tree house would be pretty awesome.

camp1

I was also wondering if there were special codes that needed to be followed. They had open decks, so if you were to trip, you would go right over the edge and it was quite a ways down! I was a little freaked out when the kids would get too close to the edge of the decking.