Lost in a Storm

paloma

I read about a group of young people who climbed up a mountain (a day hike) but were caught in a sudden storm and could not get down. They had to stay overnight with no shelter...

wvbreamfisherman

A pocket survival kit could make all the difference. Firestarters, matches, space blanket for shelter, maybe a pocket wire saw for cutting wood. If you're in that situation, you need to hunker down as soon as you know you're going to be staying and get prepared to survive the storm.

Find a brushy place to cut the wind and provide firewood and shelter materials, use what you brought along and what is available to hand to buid as tight and windproof a shelter as possible. Huddle together to conserve heat. Buiild a fire and gather as much fuel as possible while you have the chance. You'll have to keep it going for quite a while.

Survival is as much a matter of mindset and attitude as it is equipment and skill although it's much better to learn the skills and have equipment than to rely on determination and luck.

Grandpa

A few years ago, in August, a husband and wife took a day hike into the Grand Tetons. A snow storm moved in so they hunkered down. They were above timberline with nothing to burn but rocks, but they were prepared and stayed 3 days. Rangers knew they were up there but couldn't do a thing to help with the storm. Finally, it looked like enough snow had melted so they could continue down, but he slipped on the ice and fell. His wife did make it down, got help and they were able to get back up and get the guy out. He was in critical condition but survived.

We were camped not far to the north when that storm moved in and even down where we were it was ugly. People can say they shoulda done this or they coulda done that but even with the right preparations, Schitt happens.

wvbreamfisherman

Yep- Mom Nature can ba a b**ch. The best you can do is be prepared mentally and have the right kind of equipment to be able to survive the unexpected.

hippieP

I am always surprised when this happens to someone and they say they were not prepared. I know you can not be prepared for everything but some things (like a kit) are simple to get your hands on.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I read about a group of young people who climbed up a mountain (a day hike) but were caught in a sudden storm and could not get down. They had to stay overnight with no shelter...
So what? Oooohh, some people got stuck in a place and had to spend a whole night somewhere they didn't expect they'd have to. Big deal.

I can hardly imagine it, but I've had to do it a lot of times. Why is this noteworthy?

wvbreamfisherman

I guess it's noteworthy because they apparently didn't do anything stupid like run in circles until they dropped from exhaustion, or sacrifice one of their number to prevent starvation....

CozInCowtown

I guess it's noteworthy because they apparently didn't do anything stupid like run in circles until they dropped from exhaustion, or sacrifice one of their number to prevent starvation....
I agree with Dino on this one, so what?

It might have been noteworthy if the had eat one of the group to survive overnight.
How hard is it to find a spot and sack out till daylight?
JMO,
DC

IndianaHiker

Well they used one of the first steps of survival that 80% of the people don't They remained calm. This allowed them not to make any stupid decision like trying to get down the mountain during the storm.