Love the water but cannot swim

MtMakiling

It's a shame, I grew up near the sea but never learned to swim. I almost drowned in the river, in the pool twice, and also in the beach, well not on the sand, though. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

MoreTime

It's never too late to take lessons you know. Water safety is so important, I would think that it would be a worthwhile investment in both time and money.

Judy Ann

In addition to what has already been suggested, you might check out the local YMCA. There are floatation devices that you can wear while you practice kicking and paddling your arms. In my day a popular one was called a kick board that you could half lie on. Please don't ever get into the river, pool or ocean without anyone around to keep an eye on you (the buddy system). If you need help finding some place locally e-mail me and I'll help you find a location or your best resource near you.

JR

BCBabe

Private lessons, my friend, are available at most aquatic centers.

In my home, the kids are obligated to complete all ten of the Red Cross Swim levels: it's not an option, it's mandatory. We're surrounded by lakes, creeks, rivers, and ocean, AND we boat:
SAFETY FIRST OR KNOW THE WORST. :)

oldsarge

In my younger years I was not a swimmer at all. Then I took up snorkeling and found that the fins were a big help in building my confidence in the water. I found that many other guys in the military who were weak swimmers due to the fear of water liked using them also. Sometimes just hanging around in the water and getting used to the environment will make a big difference. I had a few non swimmers pass the Army water safety test after training with fins for a while.

Footprints

Why not learn now? As everyone mentioned private lessons are readily available, and fun! What you gain from the class would definitely be worth it. Good luck :)

MtMakiling

Thanks, guys, for the support and encouragement. I forgot to mention, I got an Honor Point in swimming on my Master Guide sash and I don't know how I got it.
Anyway, will really look into a swimming lesson now that summer is coming.

Judy Ann

“You can’t teach what you don’t know, and you can’t lead where you won’t go.”
MtMakiling, sometimes credit is given where it hasn't been earned. You are wise to have acknowledged a mistake and kudos for realizing where your weakness regarding swimming on the surface of water lies. Common sense will carry you far in life. Please keep us informed of your progress. We look forward to hearing from you in the future!

JR