Luminous jacket

shaun

I like riding at night and I like to ensure I am safe on the road. I have bike lights and I used to wear a luminous strap. A few days ago I spotted a luminous lightweight jacket in the sale for 10 dollars, it's great.

Do you wear any luminous clothing for riding at night?

Esperahol

I ain't much of a biker rider, but I dearly wished more people thought to wear luminous clothing at night and during the twilight periods of the day. I would really, rather not run anyone down and it helps if people don't wear black clothing while riding a black bike in the middle of the road without any reflectors. Just sayin'.

campclose

I don't ride my bike at night either. I do have a vest that is bright yellow and reflects at night. I wear this when I walk at night. I hate seeing people out there without something bright on.

Yab9

I love bike rides but I prefer to ride during daytime. It's not that I won't see the road, it's the number of crazy drivers that scares me the most. I own a luminous jacket that I carry with me but I never used it before.

Esperahol

I don't ride my bike at night either. I do have a vest that is bright yellow and reflects at night. I wear this when I walk at night. I hate seeing people out there without something bright on.
It's one thing if they bothered staying on the sidewalk or not cheerfully zig-zagging all over the dang road. However they don't and that is dangerous because there are so many other things to watch for at night.

shaun

A friend of mine was run over when I was a kid. Ever since then I've made sure I'm illuminated in the dark when I ride at night. I'm a driver as well so I know how hard it is to spot cyclists who do not take the proper precautions.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Fortunately, we don't have many bike riders around here, and there are almost none seen at night.

Last summer I did observe one bike mishap...the idiot was riding on the sidewalk with a grocery bag of recycleables hanging from the handlebar...when he decided to cross the street. He ran into a PARKED car and was knocked to the street...!! I stopped my vehicle (therefore blocking that portion of the street) and ran over to see how badly he was hurt. At the same time, a big truck coming in the other direction saw me and the bike rider, and stopped his truck (which blocked traffic coming from the other direction).

The rider said he was okay, but you're not okay when you've taken such a tumble on the pavement.

By chance, this took place in front of the police station, and I ran inside and told them what happened, and to call for an ambulance. The dispatcher turned their outside TV camera on the scene to see what happened, and summoned the ambulance.

At this point, both myself and the truck driver went on our way. Don't know if the rider hung around or not.

We do, however, have lots of foot traffic, even in the dark of late night on our streets. Most of them in their black hoodies...almost as if they were DARING someone to run them over. Idiots...!! Reflective gear should ALWAYS be worn at night...and should also be bright enough to also be easily seen in the daytime, for very obvious reasons.

Esperahol

A friend of mine was run over when I was a kid. Ever since then I've made sure I'm illuminated in the dark when I ride at night. I'm a driver as well so I know how hard it is to spot cyclists who do not take the proper precautions.
I'm sorry to hear that, although I'm glad you learned something from the sad episode. And since most of the riders around here like to move around near the lake area, which is full of blindspots, I really do wish they'd light themselves up a bit.