Maggots

bokz

Have you tried eating maggots in a survival situation where the food is scarce? I heard that they are edible to eat when cooked but I don't have the courage to put the stuff into my mouth.

Hannah

Oh my goodness, the thought of that is just gross. I could not imagine being hungry enough to eat maggots in any way, shape or form.

Michael

Objectively, I understand that maggots and similar animals are great sources of protein. Most of them probably even taste fine when prepared properly. Hell, some types of bug taste just fine if you just pick them up and eat them.

On the other hand, yuck. The situation would need to be pretty dire before I'd eat maggots. They just gross me out, man.

faye

Yuck I can't eat them! I have seen them feasting on a rotten animal carcass and then they're edible to eat? I was thinking they carry bacterias from the carcass, this is just gross.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Never tried it and hopefully never will need to! I have eaten several different types of insects, but considering where you likely will find the maggots, I can't say for sure that I even would eat them - cooked or not.

woodsman

Let's just hope nobody ever get's into a situation that he needs to eat these kinds of creatures, but maggots to the best of my knowledge are on carcasses so I don't know how safe it is to eat them, try ants they have high protein to.

crosscountry

I think that the situation would have to be extremely bad for me to even think about this. That is just disgusting really. I would probably puke before I got it down anyway, at which point its nutritional value wouldn't matter anyway.

SmackontheWeb

Never tried, hope I never have to. However, if it means the difference between surviving or starving to death, I'm certain I'd find some way to get them down.

Michael

Never tried, hope I never have to. However, if it means the difference between surviving or starving to death, I'm certain I'd find some way to get them down.
There's a point you reach where you will eat basically anything to survive. People have boiled their boots until the leather is soft enough to eat in order to get the calories to survive. I'm pretty sure that if it was up to eating maggots or starving to death, the maggots would actually taste good.

You know that feeling when you're really, really hungry and you finally get to eat a meal? Add a couple of days of no food to that, and you'll basically eat anything you even sort of vaguely imagine has nutrition. You are hard wired to survive.

If that was your only source of calories and you hadn't eaten in a week, you'd chow down on maggots and it would taste like filet mignon. You'd be grossed out later, but it would be like mana from Heaven as you ate it.

OpenFire

I believe if you cooked them properly it will burn off the bacteria so they are safe to eat. However, I have never tried and wouldn't advise anyone too unless they were in a drastic survival situation.

Thumper

I would have to be desperate to try. And yeah, I get the starvation thing. It would have to be pretty bad though for me to try it but if it came down to that or starving to death, I'd eat them plus a whole lot more.