Making a Gear List?

Gondor

How do you keep track of all your gear, not just for the trips but in the home? Without a list I would be lost because I regularly forget that I have some things that I think I am without.

Barney

Yes I do keep a list of things in a spreadsheet. But the most important thing in that list are expiration dates really so I know when to replace what.

mamabear

Lists are the only way to go. Gear lists, grocery lists, to do lists, etc. Without lists I would be like you Gondor. Lost! Expiration dates are a good idea Barney. Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

IndianaHiker

No list here. Just grab and go. Been doing it that way for many years. I lay at sleep system (Bag, Hammock and Straps, tarp) Kitchen (stove, gas canister, water purification, lighter) Food, first aid kit, entertainment (phone, camera, book) navigation system (map and compass) and clothing (if extras are needed). With it laid out I do a visual put it in my pack, and within 10 to 15 minutes out the door and ready to go.

Grandpa

No master list here either. Like Indiana, lay it out in groups, do a visual, throw it in the pack and go. I never pre-pack either. Never know which pack I'll want to take next. All my down stuff is stored "fluffed" and needs to be stuffed first. Never know how many days food and clothes I'll need, which maps to take......you get the idea.

ppine

Forester
I keep track mostly in my head, then when ready to leave make sure I haven't forgotten anything major. I usually do make a list for major hunting trips because there are many things I don't take on other trips.

Michael

I lay stuff out and then pack what I need. I think in modules, so I'll go through and get what I need for sleeping, what I need for clothing, tools for processing wood, etc. The items that normally go with me and don't need to be stored otherwise tend to live in my pack, so it makes it a little harder to miss things.

But I don't actually make a list. I'm very visual, so seeing things helps me to be sure that I have all of it.

Hikenhunter

All my regular stuff for backpacking is kept in a foot locker in the attic. Everything else like my extra stove or the stuff that I've replaced but that I hang onto "just in case" is in a cabinet in the attic next to the foot locker. Sleeping bags are kept loose in a fiber drum next to the cabinet. I have a standard checklist ( I run off a few copies when they get low) and I add to it depending on what ,if any thing I need to add. Everything gets laid out and checked off the list before I pack anything. I can grab and go, and I have, and usually I'll have everything I need, but I prefer to make sure and a list is the only way I know for sure

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I just keep my pack ready. The sleeping bags hang in the closet with the stuff sacks hanging with them on hangars. My food is in the top of the closet. After a trip I clean everything, restock stuff, dry out tents and water bags...and then repack it within a week. I could be ready to go in half an hour or so if I needed to. My hiking clothes have their own drawer and closet space. It's no question where my shorts, socks, headlamp or poo trowel are at any time.

Backroad Joe

I use a master list (spreadsheet) that I've developed over the years. Most of my trips vary. Backpacking, jeeping, 10-day base camp, quick overnighter. established campground, boondocking, etc. I find it very helpful. I'm also a person that is big on planning and understands the reasons for being prepared.

billychuck

Like Barney said, I use a spreadsheet as well. You can even get it laminated so if you take it with you it wont get ruined.
----------------------------------------
squidoo.com/outdoorsman-gift-idea Gifts for the Outdoorsman