Making an awning for a tent

Sperez

Hello,
We will be headed up to Aspen/Redstone, CO at the end of this month and have read to expect daily rain showers in the afternoon. *I would like to create a covered area that we can get under while it rains. *I gave read about using a tarp with tent poles but we can't seem to get the details solidified in our heads. **Husband and I went over to Cabelas this weekend to ask the sales staff and just got blank stares.

Lots of googling has turned up very little. *Do any of you know of a YouTube site or just a regular website that could explain the how to . **The tent poles we have found just have a rubber bottom and don't appear to have a way of being staked down.

Ideally we would like to attached it to our tent so it would function as a sort of front porch.

Hope I am describing this clear enough to provide a good description!

Thanks for your help in advance,
Sharon

Sperez

Hi there,
The link to the pictures appears to have some
type of permission , it won't me to view.

So are trees a requirement ? Trying to figure
How to do this without trees we don't know if
trees will be close enough or placed where we
want them.

Thank you,
Sharon

Grandpa

I just uploaded the pic to show you. It must need moderator approval before anyone else can see it. But yes, I usually use trees for at least two corners. In Co., you should have trees aplenty to tie to. Just avoid the big trees as they are more prone to lightning and avoid trees with big dead branches that may fall. If you both have trek poles, you can still put up a tarp in the open

Most small tents are difficult to enter when you are wet without bringing wet into the tent. Thats why I like to tarp. It gives me a place to get the wet clothes off before entering as well as a place outside the tent that is dry.