Most common fish?

HikingGuy

What are the most common fish found in rivers and streams? I would say perch and trout, but is there anything else that is commonly found?

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Streams? Depends on the speed of the flow, fast- I would say trout, medium- trout, some carp, blue gill maybe sun fish.

Slow - trout, brook trout, cat fish, carp, bass, walleye.

Fast (you can't stand in the moving water)
Medium (you could probably stand there but not move easily or safely)
Slow (you could stand there easily with minimal effort)

ChadTower

Or, if you have perch/smallmouth, that's most of what you'll find. Once they move in you're going to lose a lot of waht GOUNDpounder listed.

ChadTower

Little worm, little hook (size 3-4), use a bobber and throw that sucker over some grass, you'll hook small perch as well as small mouth, crappie and blue gill.

Perch and smallmouth, all the time here. Never a crappie or a bluegill. I've seen some crappie while snorkeling but never got one on a hook.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Chad, Crappie are mostly a predator fish feeding on other smaller fish. Try fathead minnows on a #6 hook. Use an ultralite bobber with a medium to light action rod. Let them have it after the bobber goes down for a three-thousand count (one, one thousand; two, one thousand; three, one thousand.) then set the hook. Crappie have what is called a paper mouth and you can easily rip the hook out if you don't let them have the bait long enough. Don't worry, this procedure will still lip hook them.

Good luck.

mikepond

Those evil sunny fish that bug the crap out of you when you are fishing up on the shore line or are wading in the low end water. I hate those fish. I remember as a kid how much they used to scare off everything else.

wvbreamfisherman

I'd say bluegill/sunfish. I probably fish for those more than anything else, although crappie and smallies are other favorites. Catfish are another very common fish.

The worm/bobber or mealworm/bobber is a good way to catch then, but I usually use a flyrod with a sponge rubber spider. The is something about those that seems to be irrestible to a bluegill.

If you can catch them on the spawning beds you can wear yourself out catching them!

perchbutt

perchbutt
Don't forget suckers and shiners- most common catch for young gals in the creek behnd the house;
worm and splitshot (bobber optional) will get you about anything swimming.

Judy Ann

What are the most common fish found in rivers and streams? I would say perch and trout, but is there anything else that is commonly found?
Around Charleton, SC we'd catch flounder, redfish and beaucoup trout. Caught too many stingrays, but they were fun to bring in.:tinysmile_hmm_t:
Starting to get a little hungry here!!!