Most important things we need when camping

Yab9

What are the things we need to take with us when going camping, in your opinion. I have my very own list of stuff, I never forget anything at home when I go to sleep in my tent. What's your list of things never to forget to pack ?

Esperahol

First Aid Kit, a durable source of food, knives, several ways to make a fire, flashlight with extra batteries, compass, cord, tarp, small shovel, cell phone, and my tracker stick. I bring all of this with me wherever I go, depending on the situation I bring other things as well.

shaun

I don't bother making a list because the things I need to take with me are stored in my memory and all of my camping gear is stored in one place. I take a tent, sleeping bag, lighters, compass, food, my phone, portable radio, first aid kit and spare clothing.

Judy Ann

My list changes with every trip I take according to where I am going, whether I'm backpacking or car camping, how many days I'll be out, and the time of year. The 10 essentials never change, the old dog might get to go backpacking depending on the location and my SPOT goes everywhere. My Nook and Camera go with me on solo trips, otherwise I don't read and usually the faster hikers are taking the best pics so I get to save a little weight!

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I have a standard list and check it off as I pack. It is long.

The most important when you are actually out in road-less, trail-less wilderness are;

Water of course as ppine pointed out

Shelter such as a tarp

Fire tools

And perhaps among the most important of them all are the navigation tools. A good solid compass, map and GPS are constantly in use during our wilderness travels. They are never stored in the pack. We want them right at hand. I mark my vehicle and camp with both compass and GPS as things can happen with GPS to disable it. I like my GPS and have it highly customized but like to follow bearings with my compass more than the GPS. The GPS has some good features other than the many navigation features; like a calculator, ultra accurate clock, calendar and sunrise/sunset times. I constantly check both compass and GPS though. I don’t rely on the magnetic declination scale on a map as they change over time so I get that information right before a trip and have all the locations we will go written down in my notebook in degrees and mils. I even notate the exact degree the sun will appear on the horizon morning and evening so I can orient my tent for sun or shade as the case might be. So the notebook is important for navigation too. All bearings and notations are written down there in waterproof ink.

I have begun constant lessons for Girlfriend in navigation with compass, map and GPS to supplement her experience in general canyon country travel. If I damage an ankle out there she needs to be able to do all the navigation on her own.

shaun

I take a few gallons of water with me but I don't like to carry any more than that because it is so heavy and I can use nature for water. There are a number of ways you can obtain water from nature and you can easily purify water with fire.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, there are a variety of ways to obtain water from nature. Please use caution, though, as not all of those ways will prove to be fruitful.

Examples: solar still (plastic tarp over a hole in the earth)...will produce very little under the best of circumstances. Plastic bag over leaved tree branches...same thing.

There seems to be a variety of 'unique' ways to produce water that have turned out to be no more urban legends.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Hi...

Yes, there are a variety of ways to obtain water from nature. Please use caution, though, as not all of those ways will prove to be fruitful.

Examples: solar still (plastic tarp over a hole in the earth)...will produce very little under the best of circumstances. Plastic bag over leaved tree branches...same thing.

There seems to be a variety of 'unique' ways to produce water that have turned out to be no more urban legends.
Exactly

to add to that, the water you loose through sweating as you build that solar still, digging the hole required with a stick or what ever you have on you while walking, will end you up with a rather large water deficit. You never get enough water back to even justify considering a solar still.

Navigational instruments to help you get back to a source of water, a road, a spring or some kind of civilization that offers water are much more important. In many cases navigational tools will keep one from getting lost to begin with and quell the problems before they arise.

MountainHomeCamper

I'm a project manager so I have to admit that I go a little overboard on the planning. I have a two page list for car camping. I found a fairly good generic list online and have modified over the last couple of years. It's color coded by who is responsible for ensuring it's packed in the car (blue for him, red for me). Each item is checked off when it's placed BY the car and then redlined when it's actually packed (due to a very traumatic incident involving MY pillow). But I have to say the one item I check that's packed is my camera and lenses. We also usually bring 2 coolers - one for frozen items and a separate cooler for refrigerated items. I also don't go camping without one hiking stick (really serves so many functions!) and my water supply for base camp.

Grandpa

Grandma has a notebook with several pages of things to bring. I just have one item to bring.....grandma:tinysmile_twink_t2:

When I backpack, my list changes with the seasons and locations. Which basically means I throw stuff in my pack and live with the results. The more I forget, the lighter my pack, and the more I enjoy the trip.

Last edited:

Cappy

Solar stills and dew traps work pretty good down here in Bayou country.:tinysmile_grin_t: Course the humidity is hardly never less than 50 %. I aint never tried them in a dry clomate cause i figured they wouldn't work. Lil common sence folks.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Jayant Dofey

Welcome To India to have some real Thrilling life survival camps

Dear Outdoor Basecamp community
Jay universe..
I feel proud to be a part of BC community.. it gives me an opportunity to be connected with you all and made this universe a small swee home of our humanbeings.
survival is the only answer by which we all humanbeings forgot their ego /caste /releigion /statehood /countryhood etc and beleives strongly after relaising our human status. when you encountered death, then only you realised about real human qualities.
I am inviting all my human friends to come to India-- to see the real wilderness and have some challenging survival exercises with me.

Thanking you all

Warm Regards and affection

Jayant Dofey