Most weight you can carry ?

Grandpa

My 5600 ci can handle about 60 lbs and I have done that a couple times when carrying lots of extra water. But carrying that much takes all the fun out of the trip for me. I also have a lightweight 3600 ci but it doesn't like much over 30 lbs and neither do I.

Judy Ann

Today, after a long few days camping, I am lucky to be able to lift my 15 pound dog....I'm thinking about dusting off my golf clubs and dragging them around instead of my backpack. ;-)

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Today, after a long few days camping, I am lucky to be able to lift my 15 pound dog....I'm thinking about dusting off my golf clubs and dragging them around instead of my backpack. ;-)
My dog is 21.5 lbs right now, must be the biggest Cairn in the territory. lol

I have to carry him about half the time we backpack now and it does grow heavy. I have a duffel bag setup with two crossing straps that works well. I put some shaped closed cell foam in the bottom and made him some booties for the desert pavement when is does walk. He is able to get into camp on his own steam and that helps immensely. After that I can drop a lot of weight and concentrate on him. It's still worth it for me because he loves backpacking so much after his sixteen years of doing it.

Judy Ann

I figure if I stay away from dry hikes that can save her weight in water alone in case she needs to be carried. Her new winter coat was too short in length and needs to be exchanged, but she did well for a long time with a handmade custom fit sweater, lying on the closed cell pad and a polar tech blanket, and inside the sleeping bag at night. I can keep her plenty warm, but I don't want her hurting. She loves it when the backpack comes out of hiding, but I may need to adjust things on the bucket list over the next few years to make both of us more comfortable.:hurt::eek:hwell:

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I figure if I stay away from dry hikes that can save her weight in water alone in case she needs to be carried. Her new winter coat was too short in length and needs to be exchanged, but she did well for a long time with a handmade custom fit sweater, lying on the closed cell pad and a polar tech blanket, and inside the sleeping bag at night. I can keep her plenty warm, but I don't want her hurting. She loves it when the backpack comes out of hiding, but I may need to adjust things on the bucket list over the next few years to make both of us more comfortable.:hurt::eek:hwell:
Sounds like you have the dog clothing and system down good.

I hear you on adjusting and we have had to do that over the recent couple of years. It is working. The trips seem to really perk our dog Winston up amazingly so. On one evening the wind came up and we sought shelter in the lee of a block of sandstone to make supper. Girlfriend made a fresh salad, one reason the packs are heavy. lol Winston looked on intently. He is well behaved and will not stick his nose all the way in or grab but both of his eyes are covered with cataracts so he has to get close to see at all. The vet asked me if he was blind. He has enough experience to make it work but it was funny when he couldn't find the tent and kept looking all around the boulder. The tent was about 30 yards away.

Cappy

I guess what I love most bout your post Ghostdog is that we come from different ends of the spectrum worlds apart. I love ya posts and pics and learn from them both, but i figure I would be no more comfortable in your world than you would be in mine. :)

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I guess what I love most bout your post Ghostdog is that we come from different ends of the spectrum worlds apart. I love ya posts and pics and learn from them both, but i figure I would be no more comfortable in your world than you would be in mine. :)
You got that right. I'd last about seven minutes in your terrain. In your world, there is too much exposed ground water. This makes way too many plants grow and it gets too spooky for me. Navigation must be very strange.

The biggest problem I have though is...you have prehistoric monsters in your environment. You are looking at a rare and beautiful orchid you have come across one moment and the next a reptilian monster is snapping you in half! We used to have them here about 200 million years ago. There are called Phytosaurs but we shipped them all down to Louisiana and Florida. Now you all call them gators.

The United States Public Health Service drug us all over the US while growing up and the only place I really felt right was in the desert. I came back to it over 35 years ago and it is still the only place I feel right. It is indeed as strange and beautiful as your swampy primordial Eden but in a way I can relate.

Judy Ann

I have often wondered if our "comfort zones" come from something genetically ingrained at conception. My areas of spiritual rest lie between the Appalachians and the Atlantic Ocean from Southern Virginia to Savannah, GA. I must have been a wanderer/nomad/explorer in the prior experiences of my ancestors all over this continent and possibly into South America. Somewhere along the line there were pack animals to carry my supplies because I am finding it to difficult to carry all that stuff myself, but am not old enough to stop wandering yet! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Judy Ann

Sounds like you have the dog clothing and system down good.

I hear you on adjusting and we have had to do that over the recent couple of years. It is working. The trips seem to really perk our dog Winston up amazingly so. On one evening the wind came up and we sought shelter in the lee of a block of sandstone to make supper. Girlfriend made a fresh salad, one reason the packs are heavy. lol Winston looked on intently. He is well behaved and will not stick his nose all the way in or grab but both of his eyes are covered with cataracts so he has to get close to see at all. The vet asked me if he was blind. He has enough experience to make it work but it was funny when he couldn't find the tent and kept looking all around the boulder. The tent was about 30 yards away.

Abby has cataracts too and both of us are more than a little deaf. If I stick with this hobby, a nice sharp knife and a down jacket are needed soon. Heck, I think I am about ready to either hire a Sherpa or find a boyfriend, maybe both!

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Abby has cataracts too and both of us are more than a little deaf. If I stick with this hobby, a nice sharp knife and a down jacket are needed soon. Heck, I think I am about ready to either hire a Sherpa or find a boyfriend, maybe both!
I sure value my down jacket and take it most all the time just in case. Its nice having a cozy lightweight jacket to get into even if just a hour in the late evenings or morning while waiting for the sunrise.

We like a good sharp thin bladed paring knife for fresh food prep. All you have to do is find one you like, blade length and handle wise and figure out a good sheath for it.

I get to play Sherpa during re-supply runs and to help figure out comfortable camp arraignments. As long as everyone is having a good time, that is what counts. She keeps control of the food supply and cooking so both Winston and I have to stay in line to get something to eat and she is a very good chef.

wvbreamfisherman

My basic comfort zone runs pretty much along the Appalachians from Georgia to the end of the Gaspe' peninsula. I also like the northern Michigan/Upper Great lakes, but I'm more of a mountain type, I guess.

Grandpa

And I am at home around the high alpine lakes, majestic granite, and evergreen forests of the Rocky Mountains. Like Ghostdog, I'm sure I wouldn't last long in Cappy's world and probably not a whole lot longer in the desert, although I do like to visit there.

Cappy

Somewhere along the line there were pack animals to carry my supplies because I am finding it to difficult to carry all that stuff myself, but am not old enough to stop wandering yet!

Read more: http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/f88/most-weight-you-can-carry-9439/index3.html#ixzz2Az3RvRHi

Ya dont have to give up, just adjust. My first major adjustment was to quit backpacking and start base camping. This was brought on by an ole football injury. I got me a 4 wheeled drive toyota pickup jacked it up 6 inches put big tires and a camper shell on the back. Put 250 k miles on that ole truck and traveled around either camping outa the truck or parking it and walking a mile or so to camp. Made many treasured memories. Sure ya gotta put up with a few more folks and maybe arent truelly alone or as remote but There aint many places ya cant get to using that method, it's a comprimise that lets ya keep doing what ya love.

wvbreamfisherman

As i've gotten older, I've had to adjust my expectations to fit my capabilities- physically, I'm still in good shape. Financially, I can't do things I'd like to do as far as seeing new places.

My wife's health just now limits the time I can spend away from home. Doesn't mean I enjoy the outdoors any less.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I like the attitudes and stories of how you have adjusted as time goes on. I like the descriptions of the favorite areas you do this too.

I have slowed down some so not to re-injure my ankle but have found I can still carry the weight needed to get into the waterless desert regions for now.

Another idea that we have used over the years from time to time is to hike in the gear for a mile to a half mile in beautiful terrain, hide the camp well and go off for long dayhikes with much lighter packs, returning to a luxury camp and good food in the late afternoon or evening. All backpacking does not have to be long point to point epics. There are many ways to get some pleasant rustic living and outdoor rucksack thrills.

Judy Ann

Maybe we could start a thread under the Grumpy Old Men/Women social group for adjustments that we make to continue maintaining our addiction to life spent under the stars? So many of you have helped me with acceptance of decreasing strength...which I hate to admit...but have provided ideas to keep my bucket list from becoming overwhelming in an unreasonable attempt to complete certain goals by a certain age.

It is tough when our four-legged companions grow old quicker than we do, but ideas on how others keep their pup's enjoyment of life going for them is precious and valuable information. There have been so many threads here that included health maintenance and injury prevention that I have drawn from.

I admire for those of you in retirement that work your butts off to make sure you stay as healthy as possible even as your loved ones face their own challenges. You inspire me daily.

wiccawitch

When you backpack, what's the most weight you can carry? I can put a lot inside my backpack but my girlfriend is not able to carry to much weight all by herself. How much weight can you carry when you go on such a trip ?
I always carry btween 65-70Lbs. I have no problems with the weight. It is all about the distribution in your pack. Letting your shoulders carry the weight

DuctTape

"Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment." -George Washington Sears aka "Nessmuk"

Many good suggestions already stated in this longish thread. Total weight for any trip for me is trip dependent as is the gear I take. I pretty much have my gear down to the minimum (as defined by Nessmuk) for any trip thus the controlling weight variable is food at about 2# per day. Of course if I take my canoe, that is a considerable change, but the rest of my gear doesn't change all that much just because I am paddling and not walking. This method of maintaining the minimal gear allows me to portage my canoe in a single carry. Max weight for my gear, including canoe with 5 days of provisions is just under 70lbs. A mile or two portage is easily doable with that weight. Without the canoe (and associated gear) my max weight with 5 days provisions is 25lbs.

Dannytoo

I am new here, ihope ya'll don't mind if I jump in? I try not to load down like a pack mule. I am not in bad shape but with medical issues I need electric power, carrying a 30 pound car batter ain't an option.
I mostly car camp now, I find a nice campground, setup a base camp and take day hikes, or drive to a trail head and day hike from there, returning to my very comfortable base camp and good food.
This has been working great so far. Maybe I can teach my trail dog Elliott to carry his own stuff and a couple of 12 volt car batteries then life would be good. Lol he is a 18 pound Spaniel