MRE Meals???

Northern Dancer

2975 2976 2977 2978

Well Sports Fans, err, make that Camp Fans what do you think about a meal in a bag? It comes with its own environmentally sound heater bag for the main entree. Every year I purchase a small box of these meals that serve as an emergency supply while out in the bonnies. There have been times when the weather has been so bad that I surrender and open up one of these to nourish the body. Quick and fast without the use of fire.

The first thing that I noticed this year was the price has increased significantly. Two years ago I could get a meal for less than eight dollars. Not this year. I wonder why? Oh, ya, there is this COVID 19 thing going around. I purchased them anyway because I use them as a first aid food pack should the need arise.

Most on the market are billed as Military Meals and there is more than one company. It's important to shop and compare prices before you buy. Another thing, watch the deals and then check the handling and shipping fees - if you are not paying attention you might find yourself paying a lot more than you should.

The one that I'm holding in my hand at the moment is a XMRE meal that has Chicken Creole with Brown Rice Meal Kit coming in at a whopping 1,180 Calories. Now that's a full meal mind you. So it has the Chicken, Pears in Syrup, Garbanzo Beans, Beverage Lemon-Lime Drink, and Cheese Spread with Jalapenos. It also has utensils and a flameless heater. The picture at the top left also has coffee, tea, sugar, etc. I don't want that because I have my own brew that I prefer.

WHAT'S YOUR EXPERIENCE?

Roybrew

I didn't know those were so expensive. They would be good for emergency situations, or to have fun with. I've never had any experience with MREs.

ppine

Forester
They are heavy, expensive and full of salt and sugar. Otherwise they are fine.

Cooking is one of the great joys of camping and living outdoors. The appetite is sharpened. People need the calories from exercising. There is usually time to prepare it. The exceptions might be hunting trips or long days on the water, when cooking involves some drudgery.

When I worked outdoors for a living a lot of the time, I never liked cooking after a full day. I either would hire someone to cook, or went to town to find a restaurant.

Grandpa

A son in law gave me some mre's for backpacking. One trip was enough. Too heavy. For us it's freeze dried or dehydrated for backcountry travel. (Mountain House and home made meals) or it's cooking from scratch if weight isn't a problem. Each trip may be a different method of cooking depending on how many and who goes. All my daughters and son and their spouses are good cooks so I live fat and easy these days.

Northern Dancer

You are right about the salt and sugar "Pine". I don't use them very often, only in a pinch. I like preparing foods at home, picking up on recipes that are easy to manage especially the one-pot meal.

ppine

Forester
I do not like freeze dried pouches either. A modern grocery store has plenty of single serving items and freeze dried soup, vegetables and fruits. I like real food and will leave something else out to make room for it.

Taking the new drift boat on a trip in early June. Then we have room for a cooler and real food.