Multigrain Bread Recipe

Judy Ann

I'm looking for a multigrain bread recipe to make at home. I mastered white bread, but need healthier options. Also, what types of wheat do you have the most success with?

Thank you!

Grandpa

I'll check with the family bakers and get back to you Judy. Grandma is a dutch oven whiz with breads but neighbor Matt's wife makes the most wonderful whole wheat bread. It's so good, it's no longer healthy because I eat it so fast, dripping with honey of course.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

alex k

i make a whole wheat beer bread .
3 1/2 cup organic whole wheat flower
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
12 oz beer

mix all together bake 350* for 60 min
the alchol burns off , but with lager the flavor is good

Judy Ann

Lol Grandpa! Butter on fresh out of the oven bread is probably less healthy than the honey. I'll have to try some fresh local honey on whole wheat!

Alex, the lager sounds interesting in your bread recipe. I bet that makes a nice bread for sandwiches. I'll be trying that one soon! Thank you!

wvbreamfisherman

Not exactly what you asked for, but it's really good (and not terribly healthy).

Breams Dilly Bread

1 Package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup creamed cottage cheese
1 tablespoon butter (not margarine)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 tablespoons instant minced onion
2 tablespoons dill deed
1 teaspoon salt
1/ teaspoon soda
1 egg,unbeaten
2 1/4- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Soften yeast in water.
Heat cottage cheese and butter together until lukewarm.
Combine sugar, onion, dill seed, salt, soda and egg in bowl and beat with spoon.
Add cottage cheese and butter, beat well.
Add yeast and beat well, then add flour gradually to make a stiff dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
Punch down and turn out into well-greased loaf pan.
Let rise until light (30 minutes)
Bake in 350 Deg. oven for 40-50 minutes.

I like to eat this spread with cream cheese, but butter is also good.

Judy Ann

Sounds yummy! Thank you for sharing your recipe. Fortunately for me there are a mess of 20 something's at work who love testing new recipes and enjoy tweaking them afterwards. Win/Win all around!

wvbreamfisherman

LOL Judy Ann. I actually got that one from an old church recipe book from our old family place in Virginia. It almost certainly was from a relative (since almost everyone there was related somehow). I tweaked it a little (more salt, dill and onions).

I don't see any reason you couldn't use whole wheat flour to make it, but it might be a little sweeter.

That one's a hit during the holidays with my family.

shaun

Bread is not healthy for wheat is one of the most offensive foods we can eat. However, if you want to make bread as healthy as possible you should opt for fermented and sprouted sourdough bread. The grains need to be treated to be rendered 'safe'.

Judy Ann

Shaun I had a sourdough starter that kept going for almost a year until family and friends needed a break. I have been thinking about sprouted grains for variety.

I don't understand the part about wheat being offensive since we have used grains in many forms for centuries. White bread may not be as healthy as whole grains, but still safe and not offensive. I am learning how to bake breads as a means to reduce my grocery bill and have less waste. Perhaps somewhere in the back of my mind I may want to know how to survive with a few simple ingredients.