My daughter wants to learn to ride dirt bikes

lovetohunt

I don't want her to. I don't want to buy a dirt bike. We have 4-wheelers already. She is also in dance and plays a lot of sports. I told her I wasn't buying a dirt bike. What do you think? Are there places that have them that you can rent and get lessons?

GPER

There is a small local orv park that my daughter and I take the Polaris Ranger to trail ride. They have a mx track and there are a couple of 14 year old girls that put the boys to shame.

Grady

I think it depends on where you live. There may be some kind of local club or something that you could get her involved in and they could help her.

I can understand if you're saying no because she has too many activities going on. Some kids have so much stuff on their plates that the parents end up running them around 24/7. But if you don't mind her adding another activity to her list I think she should go for it.

smellslikedirt

I would see if you know anyone that has one that she can try out. If you had a son would you tell him no just as fast? I have all girls and I have always told them they could do anything a boy can so I let them.

lovetohunt

Thanks for the great tips. I will look this summer to see what I can find. Of course after the beauty pageant she is in! lol.... That is in July and knowing her luck she would break her leg before it on a dirt bike!

Adam

I wouldn't get my daughter a dirt bike if she offered to pay for it herself. All the pads in the world won't prevent broken bones if she falls wrong or the bike falls on her.

greengrass

My husband grew up on dirt bikes and he's convinced that he and our kids are both invincible. Ugh. I feel your pain. I guess it's just part of what we go through as parents to daredevils.

outdoors Joe

It's just as easy to get hurt on a four wheeler as it is a dirt bike. The key is to teach your kids safety on anything they ride. If you catch them not being safe, take it away for a while. They'll learn.

I still have the scars and deformation I got when I turned a corner on gravel on my bike (not motorized) too fast when I was 10 or 12. You can get hurt on anything. Riding safely isn't a guarantee, but it sure does increase the odds that you won't get hurt. Bikes get a bum rap.