My fear of horses.

Tomboy

Generally, most things do not scare me. But there is something about horses that just make me uneasy. No, I have never had a bad experience with a horse. I think it's just their size and power that intimidate me.

For those of you that are experienced riders, or general horse lovers/enthusiasts, what would you recommend that I could do to get over it? There is a chance my family is going to want to do some trail rides on vacation this year and I don't want to miss out on all the fun.

Jane

Hi Tomboy,

Don't feel too bad about your intimidation of horses. It is perfectly natural for us to be afraid of something. Horse are very big animals, some of them are taller than we can reach up. However, most of them are very gentle creatures and given the chance can become your best friend.

I would recommend finding a riding stable near you and talk to the manager about your concern. They can find a gentle horse for you to become acquainted with. You don't even have to start riding right away. Just spend some time with the horse. Bring it snacks, talk to it, groom it and just start building a friendship with him/her. Horses make great listeners.

Eventually, you can start taking riding lessons. Start slowly and only with the horse that you have become friends with. You will be amazed at how much you enjoy riding and becoming one with your horse. It is a very rewarding experience. Have fun!

HereToday

Many more people of frightened by horses than are willing to admit. That kind of size and power should be respected.
What I would recommend is to go to a stable (hopefully with a friend who rides), and ask them for the most docile horse they have. Just about every stable has an older, friendly horse that they keep for such occasions. These can be assured of not galloping;they're happy with just a nice walk.
Once you are more assured on horseback, ask for a horse that is a little more peppier. Work your way up until you are OK with riding.
Oh yes, and make friends with the horse. Patting him on the neck and speaking in a calm voice calms the horse as well and lets him know he has a friend on his back.

justontime

Have a word with your local stables and book a couple of lessons on their quitest horse, you will soon feel more confident.

FreshAirLover

Like with all fears, it is important to confront it in order to stand a chance of overcoming it. I have a friend who was scared of horses in his youth, but he wanted so much to learn to ride that he took one of those courses about dealing with phobias, and gradually he progressed from standing near a horse, to climbing into saddle, to walking at a slow pace, and finally to riding...

It is possible once you set your mind to it.

Benny

Who could be afraid of a horse? Most of them are very gentle creatures. I wish I could just ride a horse all day, like they did in old western movies...

Betty

When I was a girl, we went to friends of my family who had horses, and they were feeding the horses apples. Their BIG teeth have always stuck in my mind!

Judy Ann

We had a horse farm growing up, but my sisters were the riders/jumpers in the family. I am very intimidated by strange horses, but as the others mentioned by the time you brush them, feed them and talk with them a little the uneasiness goes away a little, or enough to take a ride. I love trail riding and am quite satisfied with an experienced horse, staying in the middle of the group, and delight in that last little run for home even if there is something small that the horse jumps over.

I have been lucky and haven't broken any bones yet. My sister hurt my feelings last year when she suggested that I ride a mule in Big South Fork. I'm not about to ride a mule until the Grand Canyon. It is fun to face your fears, but even more fun to look back on the day and realize that you had fun with your family doing things they love to do. Good luck!