My purse got me looks....

BCBabe

I'm not a typical female when it comes to the subject of my purse. I don't carry make-up, or anything of that variety. Quite literally, the largest item in my purse is actually my wallet.

But it has a few other things in it that got me some really interesting looks at work last week.

I couldn't lay my hands on a universal tool I keep on a carabiner - it had come unclasped and fallen to the bottom of the purse.

As I emptied things to get to it, my co-workers began to take notice. A pair of cigarette lighters, 2 arm-band reflectors, 2 different universal tool/knife combo's, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (it burns, guys :tinysmile_fatgrin_t ), and a trio of hair pins (which can become fishing hooks, clasps.... whatever).

The purse is leather, so it's double-duty and can be cut into thongs and tethers if the need arises.

The bottom line is that I can wreck my wheels on a mountain highway out of cellular range, and still take care of myself (provided I'm not critically injured, of course).

Sophia

I don't carry much of a purse, either. I saw too many snatch and grabs years ago when I lived in Chicago. I carry my ID and money in my pockets, loosely, not in a wallet. Harder to grab that way.

BTBoop

It depends on where I am going if I carry a purse. I had a similar situation happen to me but it was actually in the local Walmart. The cashier nearly wet herself when I pulled out a can of pepper spray and a small pistol until she saw my badge.

Grandpa

I don't carry a purse either......

You are certainly not typical, at least not like my wife. You have given forethought to what you carry, with certain goals in mind. Although I don't let my wife see my amusement, I chuckle every time she does get a new purse. After going through the contents of the old one, only 3 or 4 items make it to the new. Within a month the new one is as bulging full as the old. Old shopping lists, receipts for daily purchases, abstract telephone numbers with no idea who they belong too are just part of the old contents. We drive sixty miles to go shopping and it's a 20 minute wait while she tries to find the current shopping list. Chuckle chuckle life is so much fun !!

April

I carry a small purse with me so that I don't chuck it full of stuff as I was laughing when I read Grandpa's response as I too use to be guilty of that! I have a Swiss army knife, lighter, and pepper spray in mine to and soon a small pistol (getting that CCW soon)

Trabitha

I would be very careful about relying on your purse for your Conceal carry weapon. I HAVE a purse and got it here: Gungear.com
(best prices I've found.) BUT I would carry on your person more often than not. Here's an easy "pro and con" list to carrying in a purse vs. on your body.
corneredcat.com Read "how do I hide this thing?"
After reading that...you will understand why concealing on your body is MUCH safer.

Check out this site for some really great conceal carry "clothing" holsters. Even though they are selling to women...they are totally not PC...but if you can look past the sleazy models, the product is worth it. concealedcarryclothingsotre.com

It's really worth looking into conceal options...but try to use the purse only for when you REALLY need to...

Sorry about the no URL's...I'm not allowed to post them yet.

campclose

Wow, now that sounds like one heck of a purse, or survival kit! I do carry a purse with me, everyday. Mine is more of a purse but I carry a lot of medicine. I joke and say you know I am getting older because I have meds in it. Tylenol, heartburn medicine, sinus medicine, and cramp medicine!

BTBoop

For that small pistol...consider a Walther PK 380
That is a good suggestion Le. I have a couple of different caliber pistols but one of my first was a 380 and I could aim and hit a target really well with it. Hubby likes to have one that will shoot further but I liked my 380.

le Metis

Hubby likes to have one that will shoot further but I liked my 380.
Here's the problem with "shooting further"....first, the first rule of a gun fight is not to get in one. From police and FBI shooting reports the typical gun fight will last 1.5 second with 3 rounds fired at a distance of 15 feet. There is a 50 per cent chance of being shot in the exchange. Shooting further is also problematical because often times the only safe back stop to prevent hitting an unintended is the body being fired into....ie....penetration over perferation....

The key for any caliber of handgun is choosing ammo that will provide enough energy to shock the central nervous system to where it shuts down, and placement of a shot to acheive that result. The best kill shots are through the mouth, behind the earlobe, and where the skull and the C1 vertebrae connect...shots here blow out the medulla oblongata seperating the brain from the spinal column....

Last edited:

Trabitha

If I may give one piece of advice...
Do NOT...under any circumstances get a Taurus PT709 Slim. Let me tell you a little story...I got a beautiful PT709 in early November. I loved the gun from the moment I read up on it...but I really should have dug further. After 21 rounds at the range, it cracked. No joke. The gun CRACKED. I called the company and they gave me the impression that they had never heard of such a thing, but would honor the warranty. They told me it was unfixable and would send me a new one. I got the new one in, and when I took it out of the box THAT TOO was cracked and I hadn't even shot it yet. (no, it was not the same gun.)
Frustrated, I called again, and again was given the impression that this was a total surprise and I should mail it back for them to look at. I waited forEVER and heard nothing. Finally in December, after reading hundreds of horror stories on line about this exact thing happening, I called again in January and explained that I don't want the PT709. I took an 80.00 hit and offered to take their ultra-light revolver instead. They were happy with the compromise and said it would be in the mail ASAP.
I got a call at the end of the month, that my new gun was in...drove all the way out to get it...and upon opening the box, I discovered...

They sent me another 709 Slim and THIS one looked like someone bashed the crap out of the locking pin!!
So long story short, 709's break, the quality control is ridiculous, and Taurus in general is full of a bunch of idiots. I'm SUPPOSED to get my new revolver tomorrow (3 months after this all began), but I'm not holding out much faith that it will show up, let alone be the right gun. Even if it is...I'm expecting a different set of problems. *sigh*.

Trabitha

Oh...my new one will shoot 38 special and is capable of shooting +P...that will give it the power comparable to a 9mm. Just putting that out there.

Joe S.

I'm a fly fisherman, and I used to wear a fishing vest. Then I came across this "box" about the size of a six pack with a strap I put over my head and across my chest. The first time my fishing buddies saw it, they wouldn't let me hear the end of it about my "fishing purse". Of course when they bum my flies, it doesn't seem to matter that they came out of my "purse". Real men tie their own!

YogiBear

Joe, just imagine how fast your buddies would be out to get them one if one of them had their guns tucked in their pants and it went off. Sorry I had too! lol