My son and his pack

DThewanderer

My son is trying to make a list of items he should carry in his hiking pack. He is 10 years old and loves the outdoors. So far he has decided to pack his compass, binoculars, and bird hand book. What else should I suggest he pack?

DunandAway

Water and food. Even on a day hike he may need something to eat and will certainly need something to drink. If the kids are old enough, I always suggest they carry their own food and water. You never know (God forbid) if you may get separated and they will need that food and water. It's also good practice for them for later on when they gather up their own things.

Wendolyn

How large is the pack?

I still prefer all essentials in smaller packs (waist type or clip ons). I would suggest exactly what the back for the older kids and adults are used for, then see if the little one can end up getting some ideas gathered that you can both sort out.

Michael

A change of socks is always nice. It helps to keep your feet comfortable, because if your feet are uncomfortable, the rest of you is as well.

I have to agree with water. Even just a 12 ounce bottle is better than nothing. It ruins the fun of tromping around in the woods if you spend a bunch of it wishing you had something to drink.

A little food is nice as well. A sandwich is good for a long hike, while a piece of fruit or two is good for a shorter one. If you don't want to have to pay attention to the contents of his pack from day to day, you can make sure there's a Cliff bar or the like in there, something filling that has a pretty good shelf life.

Stoker

A first aid kit is something everybody should take with them. You never know what will happen out there, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I think it's awesome that he is showing an interest in packing his own gear and doing it right. It shows that his head is on correct. Good job!

As above, water, food, first aid, spare clothes. If you are comfortable with it, a small knife and some fire starting provisions as well. Nothing matures a youngster better than self-reliance. :tinysmile_grin_t:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hmmmmm..........All good answers. He is a bit too young to be carrying any weapons but the idea of a small knife is a good idea if he has been trained to use one and respect it. Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) makes some beauties with lots of tools that can come in handy.

A roll of duct tape and a length of twine are also good things to have with. You can temporarily fix almost anything with them including a torn backpack.

Michael

Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) makes some beauties with lots of tools that can come in handy.
Oh, man, but I thought Swiss Army knives were cool when I was 10. Assuming the child in question knows how to use one safely and is responsible enough to be allowed to use one on his own, a little Swiss Army knife will probably make for many hours of fun play in the woods. Just finding and making your own walking stick is a very cool activity.

This is of course dependent on the child in question. Some are ready to use a knife on their own by 10, and others aren't.