Navigational Markers?

Gondor

Anyone maybe using navigational markers for better orientation in an unknown area? I usually buy Coghlan's Orange Trail Tape which is super cheap and its 150 feet long.

ppine

Forester
Please don't trash up the bush by using a bunch of orange plastic. If you use it temporarily to mark something, please remove it.

calanta

I tend to keep a little notebook with me that fits in my pocket, its easy to jot down what you see near you and keep an idea on paper (that you can recycle when you get home). Besides that having a small digital camera handy helps too.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Please don't trash up the bush by using a bunch of orange plastic. If you use it temporarily to mark something, please remove it.
+1

Try to find an orienteering class near you. Learning the proper way to navigate would be a better solution. You can often find them at a local college. You can find some online too. You can also get a book from your local library.

oldsarge

I know it takes a lot of work to develop good navigating skills. Those are perishable skills too. I don't get out as much as I like to just work the map and compass, practice reading terrain and just getting the feel of the land.

Another way to mark locations is with rocks placed in a row, large rocks placed in an unnatural way.

Last edited: