New Jersey, New York, Penn - Trip recommendations?

EmberMike

Anyone else in the area?

I'm looking for some car camping recommendations. I've got Jenny Jump in Hope, NJ pegged for a spring trip and I'm looking to put a few summer trips on the calendar. Looking in the area of Northern NJ, southern NY, and eastern PA.

Hikenhunter

There are tons of places along the Delaware River, mostly on the New York and New Jersey side. Most of the campgrounds you will find along the river are more interested in renting you a raft,canoe, or some other water craft and the campgrounds do get pretty noisey because the campers are there to party and play on the river, but the camping fees are cheaper than most other campgrounds. Also in the Water Gap there is some free camping available butthese are spots along the river that do not have bathrooms or other amenities. They are just private spots along the river. Mostly I like Landers River Trips Skinners Falls Campground in New York, if I can go during the week rather than the weekend because it does not get very full during the week. I have ,on occasion, been the only person in the whole campground when I've gone during the week. I frequent Locust Lake State Park in Pa. It is located near Pottsville Pa. I like it because it is a smaller park with many amenities and for me it is only about a 45 minute drive from home. Also Tuscarora State Park, which is only a day use park, is only about a 15 minute ride from Locust Lake. Both parks are centered around a lake. Both have a beach on their lake. Both have camp stores which rent water craft. Tuscarora is a bigger lake and seems to have the better fishing spots while Locust Lake has the nicer beach.

Last edited:

EmberMike

I don't see myself doing much camping along the river. I'm not into any watercraft activities, so it seems like I might just be dealing with more crowded areas without much added benefit.

Locust Lake State Park sounds interesting. Might have to check it out. It's a bit more of a drive for me (looks like about 2 hours), but not out of the question.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Assuming you mean just car camping, for a fairly uncrowded place try Mahlon Dickerson Reservation in Jefferson Twp NJ. There are only three lean to sites and about 14 tent sites, so no need to worry about masses of people.

Woodland Valley and North/South Lake state campgrounds in the Catskills are pretty good as public campgrounds go. Plenty to do at both places. North/South Lake is bigger and more popular so if you want a bit of a quieter experience, Woodland Valley is the better choice.

And for an off the beaten path place, there is Camp Glen Gray in Mahwah NJ. A former Boy Scout camp now owned by Bergen County Parks. They have cabins, shelters, tent sites and "backcountry" campsites. I think much of the summer the sites are only available weekends. See Camp Glen Gray

EmberMike

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually camped at both Mahlon Dickerson and Glen Gray when I was a Boy Scout. Didn't know that they were available to the public, I'll have to give them a try.

briansnat

Platnium Member
A free option is along Russel Brook Rd in the western Catskills (near Roscoe NY). You just drive along the dirt road until you find a clearing you like. Park and unload your stuff. No reservations, no assigned sites and sometimes few other people.

The road is closed from the south these days after it was destroyed by a flood, but any car can easily drive in from the north end.

Last edited:

EmberMike

Anyone know of a northern NJ spot for a quick no-reservations kid-friendly one-nighter?

Edited to add: Or any place in NJ that doesn't have a 2-night minimum. Seems like all of the state-run places now have a 2-night minimum, and I'm just looking for a quick overnight getaway.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

I lived in Filthadelphia for awhile back in the 80's, I recommend somewhere much farther north like Maine or much farther west like near ppine or Grandpa.

Cappy

Me and Peg and friends had a wonderful wine tasting adventure along te finger lakes in up state NY. So much fun infact I dont really remember the camp grounds and will hafta do some blog searchin and research. The town of naples has a grape festival in the fall and those concord grape pies are amazing. I seem to have had a ball at the bully Hill winery, cause i brought home a couple cases fo their wine that I don't remember aquiring. Wory not mad moms Peg was designated driver. lesson learned?? Dont park ya camper under an apple tree

briansnat

Platnium Member
Anyone know of a northern NJ spot for a quick no-reservations kid-friendly one-nighter?

Edited to add: Or any place in NJ that doesn't have a 2-night minimum. Seems like all of the state-run places now have a 2-night minimum, and I'm just looking for a quick overnight getaway.
The previously mentioned Mahlon Dickerson Reservation in Jefferson Twp has no minimum. I've spent single nights there numerous times. I think you still need to reserve a site ahead of time or you'd be taking a chance that nothing is available, but it's not a super popular place.

The campground at Campgaw Mountain in Mahwah has no minimum either, but you need to get a permit ahead of time.

EmberMike

Thanks, Brian, I forgot about Mahlon Dickerson. Think I might be looking to do a one-nighter next week. I'll give them a call and see what's available.

Any thoughts/tips on Mahlon Dickerson? How close together are the tent sites?

Last edited:

goforit75

There are tons of places along the Delaware River, mostly on the New York and New Jersey side. Most of the campgrounds you will find along the river are more interested in renting you a raft,canoe, or some other water craft and the campgrounds do get pretty noisey because the campers are there to party and play on the river, but the camping fees are cheaper than most other campgrounds. Also in the Water Gap there is some free camping available butthese are spots along the river that do not have bathrooms or other amenities. They are just private spots along the river. Mostly I like Landers River Trips Skinners Falls Campground in New York, if I can go during the week rather than the weekend because it does not get very full during the week. I have ,on occasion, been the only person in the whole campground when I've gone during the week. I frequent Locust Lake State Park in Pa. It is located near Pottsville Pa. I like it because it is a smaller park with many amenities and for me it is only about a 45 minute drive from home. Also Tuscarora State Park, which is only a day use park, is only about a 15 minute ride from Locust Lake. Both parks are centered around a lake. Both have a beach on their lake. Both have camp stores which rent water craft. Tuscarora is a bigger lake and seems to have the better fishing spots while Locust Lake has the nicer beach.

goforit75

Locust Lake is my go to spot as well....