New to camping but not really.

Killbuzzjrad

Hello,

Like the title says, I'm new to camping but not really. I've gone out lots of times but it was always with family or friends so I never had to buy any equipment. Now I have decided that I would like to start camping more often without having to wait on my chance to go whenever everyones feels like it. I am currently looking into buying a good tent but I have no clue as to which brand or type is best. From what I can tell, MSR and Kelty seem to be at the top. After searching online for a few days I found a Kelty Parthenon Tent - 8 Person for $320 shipped. I know that this is an outstanding price but is it right for me? This is what I am looking for:

Sleeps 6 - 8 (I go hunting a lot with family and friends)
Good for bad weather
Easy setup
Will last me a long time

Grandpa

Welcome Killbuzz, this is a good place to start your adventure. Lot's of knowledgeable folks here. Both Kelty and MSR are good brands. As to what fits your situation, I'll pass, not really in to the big tents.

Michael

Welcome to the board.

Before you buy anything, you need to ask yourself how many people you're likely to realistically be responsible for providing shelter for. Do you need something for just you, and your friends and family have their own gear? Do you have lots of buddies who don't have gear who are likely to want to go out camping?

It sounds, from what limited info you've provided, that a lot of your friends and family have their own tents. Might you possibly be better off with buying a one or two man tent?

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
We camp just with family a few times a year, locally at the lake, and then each summer up in the sierras. we just retired our old pipe tent and got a new one. For us, we just got a coleman 8 person tent. It goes up in under a minute (way better than the putting the old pipe pieces together LOL) Amazon.com: Coleman Instant 14- by 10- Foot 8- Person Two Room Tent: Sports & Outdoors
We never have to deal with bad weather in the summer up there though.

Hyde

I have a Coleman as well. I have always liked the brand and the price is not too bad. I find that you have to make sure to use waterproofing spray on the Colemans. As long as you take care of it and do that it should be fine.