Newbie to Camping, tips for going with family

jacktanner

Hi, I am very new to the whole camping activity scene, so I have a couple questions.
First of all I have a family of four and are living in Rochester New York. Not so many mountains around us, so I was wondering about taking a camping trip to Canada.
Any famous/easy areas where we could camp/hike/(maybe fish)?

I also want to know the rough spending budget for a camp trip.
We are thinking for staying 4 days.

Please tell me what you guys think!

ppine

Forester
Jack,
Welcome to the forum and to camping. Realize that camping is not a "scene." Nobody camps because it is cool or looks good. You have plenty of places around you to go without leaving the country. How about the Finger Lakes, so VT or sw Maine?

Your budget should be fuel for the vehicle, groceries from the store, and fees if you are in a campground. That's it. Maybe you could add a stop to get ice cream for the kids on the way home. Good luck.

jacktanner

Thank you so much for a quick answer.

I will look into those areas more, and hopefully I will be able to get the family out there. I think I will look around this forum for tips and if I run into any questions I will ask some more.

Oh and sorry, I did not type "scene" to mean it that way. I should have just said camping.

Grandpa

Jack, welcome to OBC and the great outdoors. I hope you and your family enjoy your new hobby.

For a good hint, read hikenhunters comments on page 3 of "dumbest things camping" thread. He makes a very good point about gear you will need. You will get lot's of good answers to your questions here. You only have to ask. Actually, that thread will give you lots of good things to not do.

Like Ppine, I wonder why you would start with Canada when you live in a state with the Adirondacks and the Catskills. My suggestion would be to find a campground close by, just to get the feel of your equipment, (or the lack thereof, as in hiken's story) before you travel too far. You might try websites "localhikes dot com or trails dot com" to find places near your home. An overnighter close to home will give you a good idea of what additional questions you need to ask before making that grand trip that will anchor you in to the growing group called campers and hikers.

Pathfinder1

Grandpa;

Jack, welcome to OBC and the great outdoors. I hope you and your family enjoy your new hobby.

For a good hint, read hikenhunters comments on page 3 of "dumbest things camping" thread. He makes a very good point about gear you will need. You will get lot's of good answers to your questions here. You only have to ask. Actually, that thread will give you lots of good things to not do.

Like Ppine, I wonder why you would start with Canada when you live in a state with the Adirondacks and the Catskills. My suggestion would be to find a campground close by, just to get the feel of your equipment, (or the lack thereof, as in hiken's story) before you travel too far. You might try websites "localhikes dot com or trails dot com" to find places near your home. An overnighter close to home will give you a good idea of what additional questions you need to ask before making that grand trip that will anchor you in to the growing group called campers and hikers.

Hi...

Some good advice in these posts. New York State can offer almost unbelievable outdoor experiences. They have State-protected (forever wild) forests/parks larger than the National forests/parks in most States, excluding AK.

Excellent hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, skiing, hang gliding, climbing, boating, et al. Many brochures describing same are available by phone or on the 'net.

Also, have some talks with your local DEC people (who are in every County), who will be very knowledgible in these areas.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
As others mentioned, no need to leave the state. Try one of the DEC campgrounds in the Adirondacks or Catskills. See DEC Campgrounds - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation. North/South Lake in the Catskills has some beautiful hiking nearby that doesn't require long walks or climbs along with boating, fishing, horseback riding and other activities. In the Adirondacks, Meacham Lake and Taylor Pond are nice for getting away from it all and offer boating, hiking and fishing, or the Meadowbrook or Wilmington campgrounds are good if you want to use your campsite as a base for sight seeing.

Of course you need equipment. Tent, sleeping bags, stove, flashlights and/or lanterns and back pads or cots are basics. A dining fly or tarp is also handy should you hit some rough weather. That way you don't need to huddle in your tent. Maybe a portable grill, a water jug and some camp chairs are a good idea.

Start out borrowing or renting what you can. Since you are car camping weight isn't a consideration so you can buy cheaper equipment. Walmart grade stuff should be fine for most items at first, just don't scrimp on your tent. Go to a specialty outdoors retailer and get the best you can afford, lest you find yourself spending miserable, wet nights inside. For sleeping bags and most other stuff you can get away with cheap for now.

Oh and with kids bring plenty of packets of baby wipes, even if you don't have a baby. They are great for quick washups.

There is a lot of very good info hereExpert Advice: Camping & Hiking

rubbersoul

the cost to go camping once you have all your gear is quite minimal, but there are a lot of things you'll need to go camping that most people who've never camped before don't have. these items can add up. briansnat gave you a good starter list of the basic things you won't want to go without if you want things to go smoothly. most of your other needs you can find around the house. i think you should find a nearby campground to start with and get your bearings. once you've gone a few times and know you have everything you need, then make a trip of it.

Judy Ann

My budget includes camping fees, cost of ice and wood daily, food, gas and canoe or kayak rental fees once or twice a summer. Fresh seafood when camping at the coast is well worth a few extra dollars on those trips. One place I camp at takes me past a Krispy Kream donut shop that I usually make a trip to for a dozen for the Rangers and more than one for me.