Night hike safety tips

lbean

I am a big fan of night hiking. I know it can sometimes be dangerous but there are some great critters you can only see at night. What are your best night hiking safety tips.

Thumper

Make sure you're armed and well lit. Don't walk in each other's footsteps and make sure you know where you are going and where you will meet up. Avoid any sign of wildlife and watch for snakes. In other words, I don't like to hike unless it's a full moon and the trail is well lit.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

IndianaHiker

While I dont see the need to be armed I good light is needed. I packback many times at night and the only thing that I carry that is different is my headlamp. If you are going to night hike invest in a good one not a 20 Walmart one. I like my Princeton Tec EOS.
EOS | Princeton Tec

Keep in mind that hiking at night your sense of distance wil be off as you will not travel as far as you may have thought you have. Also depth perception will be off so pick up your feet higher than normal to keep from tripping of roots and rocks. Rather thatn taht use common sense and you should be fine. THere are some areas that I wont hike at knight but that due to terrian features like cliffs not animals.