No Tents

Traveler

Have you tried camping without tents?

I just watched Man VS Wild and Bear is sleeping on what nature can offer. I haven't tried this in my life but it seems exciting and I might try it someday.

nomad

I did try this tent-less comping once. I'm not sure if I'm going to repeat that because I virtually didn't sleep the whole night because of cold and the eerie feeling of something watching you.

Wild Bill

If you are caught out in the wilderness without a tent, the best thing to do is to find a high place to sleep, like a tree. Most of the animals that could hurt you won't be looking up in the trees for something to eat.

Generally the higher the better.

2coastcamper

I used to camp without a tent all the time back in NC. Summer nights were still 90 degrees, and no rain in sight for most of the summer. We did, however, have bed rolls and pillows.

greengrass

NO way! I am too sensitive to lights, sounds and chilly temps to even think of not sleeping in a tent. I think I'd freak out about bugs and animals a bit too much too. LOL

Lovefall

Brrr... I would have to pass at that one. I'm not much for camping under the stars. It's too eerie to me to be honest, call me a chicken. I guess I like the comfort of knowing there is a tent around me to protect me if needed.

firefly

I went camping with a church youth group years ago. We all slept around the camp fire in sleeping bags. It was fun but uncomfortable at the same time. And the next day we all were blowing soot out of our noses lol.

looey

Yes on a dare and it did not end well, I think I still have some sort spots and this was years ago. I guess if you are tired enough you will sleep anywhere anyhow, but I would prefer to not have to do that again in this lifetime.

tentwolfette

no tent

My brother claims to find some pine boughs or hemlock and sleep on those. I myself have never tried it. I :tinysmile_sleep_t:kind of like the tent around me feeling.

LytWind

I never tried it in my life but I'm game for it. I always carry my cloth hammock whenever I go hiking or camping. So if ever I forgot my tent or lost it then I still have my hammock to sleep on.

Christie

NO way! I am too sensitive to lights, sounds and chilly temps to even think of not sleeping in a tent. I think I'd freak out about bugs and animals a bit too much too. LOL
I don't think the light(or lack of it) would bother me, but I'm right with you on all the other stuff. I know it's just a fabric shell, but the city girl inside of me takes comfort in that barrier from the critters that roam in the night.

drake

I haven't tried sleeping tent-less but I wouldn't try it. I am sensitive to cold and I might get colds if the cool temperature is too high.

HappyFeet

I might try this idea for it sounds like a challenge to me. Do you have any suggestions on how to sleep without tents? What are the things to consider when you camp in the wild without tents?